Georgetown (40k/year) or Northwestern (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eve173

New

Georgetown (40k/year) or Northwestern (sticker)

Post by eve173 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Hello,

I am trying to decide between Georgetown Law (40k/year scholarship) or Northwestern Law (sticker).

I am interested in initially working in Big Law to pay off my loans after graduating law school, and possibly entering a government position after that. I would like to study employment law or become a prosecutor. I spent my college summers in DC, but I am from Chicago.

Georgetown is offering me 40k/year, which brings my COA to approximately 120k, all being financed through loans. I will be paying sticker at Northwestern. LSAT 165, GPA 3.9.

Thank you for any and all advice!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Georgetown (40k/year) or Northwestern (sticker)

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 pm

I'd encourage you to retake the LSAT for even more money from other t14 schools, but if you are going to go now, definitely go with Georgetown. NU is the better school, but not worth sticker over 40k a year at Gtown. You can still get Chicago from Gtown, just have to network and honestly Chicago from Gtown is probably easier than staying in DC because there is less competition among gtown classmates and t14 generally

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I second the advice given above.
NU definitely has better placement numbers but it's not worth the 40k extra per year.
If you're iffy about Georgetown though, you should consider re-taking the LSAT and re-applying next year.

mmac

New

Post by mmac » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:08 pm

Georgetown. Congrats on the scholarship and good luck!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 pm

OP, have you tried to negotiate with NU to match Georgetown?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:48 am

trebekismyhero wrote:I'd encourage you to retake the LSAT for even more money from other t14 schools, but if you are going to go now, definitely go with Georgetown. NU is the better school, but not worth sticker over 40k a year at Gtown. You can still get Chicago from Gtown, just have to network and honestly Chicago from Gtown is probably easier than staying in DC because there is less competition among gtown classmates and t14 generally
Georgetown alum, and I agree with this sentiment.

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:28 am

I would vote for the retake. What were your practice timed LSAT’s? If you were consistently scoring in the 170’s in your timed practice tests then it’s a no brained. Was your 165 a retake? Your gpa is awesome. Don’t waste it. Study hard and retake. Schools will only really take your highest score anyways. I tread that Yale is the only one that might really look and consider all the scores. If you can get into 170’s then combined with your gpa you are looking at big bucks. Don’t leave money on the table.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”