Howard Law Vs Seattle U

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jimlaw123

New

Howard Law Vs Seattle U

Postby Jimlaw123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Got into Seattle U( 30k scholarship) originally from WA, went to college in California. Family wants me to go here, can live at home, full cost will be about 150K.( Afte saving 70K on living expenses living at home). Private sector is top class 90K, public 60,000K. I like the campus, vibe is alright.. negative is my family( they love me, but nag, and bug, and call.. it’s be a headache, but I can deal). Goal Business Law, tech, corporate.

Howard Law School... They gave me 10K. If You’re in the top 25% after 1L, they’ll pay for your full tuition 2nd-3rd( what I was told, they have programs for it)year. If you are in that 25% you get a chance at BigLaw, as they place well. I’ve spoken to 3 attorneys (USC real estate law(BigLaw), USC IP law, Syracuse IP Law( huge firm in San Fransisco, She’s my mentor now)

They told me to go to Howard, since I can come back, and get a whiff at their firms( They’re friends, so it could be all fluff).

Issues are moving( never been to the east coast), as well as going to a predominantly African American school( I’m a minority, raised in the burbs, went to school in So-Cal)
Don’t mind it, but, it’s something to add on. It’s going to cost me, with room and board 150K( if I have to pay full amount), heard they place well in private sector and big law.

I want to be in corporate, contracts, and tech( Have worked with the agencies in Cali( CAA, WME, UTA) and producers in the past, each I’ve spoken to said go to Howard.

Please no trolls, just help me. I’m not retaking( retook 4 times, post poned last year to retake, got the same score( crazy, huh?), it was a 157.

Thanks.

AspiringAspirant

New

Re: Howard Law Vs Seattle U

Postby AspiringAspirant » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Howard, easy. There’s nowhere you can go with a Seattle degree that you can’t also get to with a Howard degree. The same can’t be said of the inverse.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 am

It looks like they're tied in USNWR. Obviously that doesn't matter much, but could the poster above clarify why he thinks Howard is so much better?

Jimlaw123

New

Postby Jimlaw123 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:09 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:It looks like they're tied in USNWR. Obviously that doesn't matter much, but could the poster above clarify why he thinks Howard is so much better?

Just the opportunities in biglaw, and potential for scholarship... I’m not too keen on D.C. but I’ll go anywhere to win.. though I’m an older college student(31).

Just the I’ve been told it’s better, though Seattle U, wild be less stress.. truly.

beinghuman

Postby beinghuman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:24 am

You probably will not like what I will tell you but I think that going to either school will be a huge gamble. Neither school places particularly well in big law. There's no way for you to know at this point whether you will be in the top 25% in 1L. Given that you're 31, you have less time to repay your debt than someone going straight from undergraduate. Starting with 150K in debt at 34 will not be fun especially if you are graduating from law schools whose graduates do not fare well on the market -- Howard does a relatively better job but 20% big law is a low number.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/howard/jobs/
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/seattle/jobs/

Jimlaw123 wrote:Got into Seattle U( 30k scholarship) originally from WA, went to college in California. Family wants me to go here, can live at home, full cost will be about 150K.( Afte saving 70K on living expenses living at home). Private sector is top class 90K, public 60,000K. I like the campus, vibe is alright.. negative is my family( they love me, but nag, and bug, and call.. it’s be a headache, but I can deal). Goal Business Law, tech, corporate.

Howard Law School... They gave me 10K. If You’re in the top 25% after 1L, they’ll pay for your full tuition 2nd-3rd( what I was told, they have programs for it)year. If you are in that 25% you get a chance at BigLaw, as they place well. I’ve spoken to 3 attorneys (USC real estate law(BigLaw), USC IP law, Syracuse IP Law( huge firm in San Fransisco, She’s my mentor now)

They told me to go to Howard, since I can come back, and get a whiff at their firms( They’re friends, so it could be all fluff).

Issues are moving( never been to the east coast), as well as going to a predominantly African American school( I’m a minority, raised in the burbs, went to school in So-Cal)
Don’t mind it, but, it’s something to add on. It’s going to cost me, with room and board 150K( if I have to pay full amount), heard they place well in private sector and big law.

I want to be in corporate, contracts, and tech( Have worked with the agencies in Cali( CAA, WME, UTA) and producers in the past, each I’ve spoken to said go to Howard.

Please no trolls, just help me. I’m not retaking( retook 4 times, post poned last year to retake, got the same score( crazy, huh?), it was a 157.

Thanks.

redtalun

New

Postby redtalun » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 am

AspiringAspirant wrote:Howard, easy. There’s nowhere you can go with a Seattle degree that you can’t also get to with a Howard degree. The same can’t be said of the inverse.

I don't know anyone in the Seattle legal community with a Howard Law degree. OP will do better in the PNW with a SU degree, but the EV for both of these options is not good.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:54 am

redtalun wrote:
AspiringAspirant wrote:Howard, easy. There’s nowhere you can go with a Seattle degree that you can’t also get to with a Howard degree. The same can’t be said of the inverse.

I don't know anyone in the Seattle legal community with a Howard Law degree. OP will do better in the PNW with a SU degree, but the EV for both of these options is not good.

Also, OP's comment "90k is top class", is a bit of a misnomer. There is a huge range of starting salaries in the PNW, 215yr to 45kyr.

AspiringAspirant

New

Postby AspiringAspirant » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:05 am

redtalun wrote:

Something tells me you don’t know too many black lawyers in the Seattle community, so this doesn’t say much.

OP, I made the above recommendation because essentially all markets — especially ones like Seattle — are incredibly in need of black lawyers. Thus Howard, being an HBCU, has a national reach that similarly ranked schools don’t have. Firms nationwide actively reach out to Howard in a way that they simply won’t for a place like Seattle U.

In short, top rank at Seattle U = Top Seattle jobs. Top rank at Howard = Top jobs anywhere. But make no mistake, you’ll have to do very well at either school to get desirable options.

Wipfelder

Silver

Postby Wipfelder » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 pm

AspiringAspirant wrote:
redtalun wrote:

Something tells me you don’t know too many black lawyers in the Seattle community, so this doesn’t say much.

OP, I made the above recommendation because essentially all markets — especially ones like Seattle — are incredibly in need of black lawyers. Thus Howard, being an HBCU, has a national reach that similarly ranked schools don’t have. Firms nationwide actively reach out to Howard in a way that they simply won’t for a place like Seattle U.

In short, top rank at Seattle U = Top Seattle jobs. Top rank at Howard = Top jobs anywhere. But make no mistake, you’ll have to do very well at either school to get desirable options.

This is exactly correct for the national law firms in Seattle.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?