Decision to enroll on NON ABA School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nixy

Gold

Re: Decision to enroll on NON ABA School

Post by nixy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:22 pm

JohnnieSockran wrote:
nixy wrote:There is nothing distinctively similar about those two posts and you sound incredibly paranoid. There’s nothing threatening about what objctnyrhnr said. (And aren’t you the same person who posted the O’Melveny whatever blog in every post a while back?)

Also OP, damn, the attorneys you know all use a lot of exclamation points.
Na that was Lawposeidon. He seems to have mostly disappeared (hopefully).
Or come back...

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:24 pm

Mantrain wrote:
dixiecup wrote:
objctnyrhnr wrote:
Mantrain wrote:Obviously, there are areas of law where you went to school is important. I am not a moron if I go to Non aba. only a moron would say that.
Yes there are many fields that wont be open to me, but there are many that will be. Why am I here? Good question. I wished there was a non-aba forum for us "losers." TThis is USA. We can go to NON aba and prove ourselves in the real world. This is not the good ole boys club of America that we live in.
his is what the atty said who went to UC Davis when I told him of my decision to attend non-aba: He went to UC Davis, he told me this ( i asked him something about contract law).

awesome!! I think it's so cool you're doing this!!!
yes keep them coming anytime!! I enjoy it! :)

So why am I here? Well I do not know but the conversation just seems to keep going.
Okay this absolutely has to be a flame.

You win, OP. You riled up TLS with an elaborate and entertaining flame.

Obviously if you want to go to school for free, the credited response is just to do really well on the Lsat relative to the school’s 75th percentile.

Nobody could have read all of this thread, in good faith, and not realize that simple fact.

If you are not a flame, you are very lazy.
Be honest. Are you Otavi81, the person who wrote exactly like you do, and who made threats against black Debevoise associates complaining of discrimination? You said you and your friends had screenshotted their posts and would use writing analysis to find out who they were, after which you'd do who knows what to them? Was that you?!?!
Otavia81 wrote: I don’t have any aliases.

You haven’t denied that you have aliases here. You haven’t addressed any of the similarities I pointed out.

Instead, you’re attacking. You’re lying on cdotson. You’re acccusing everyone of being sent by Debevois. You’re trying to find out my info. You’re logging in back and forth under your various aliases.

You’re really dumb to think you could keep creating aliases and no one would notice.

Don’t bother having the thread deleted because I have screenshots and so do a bunch of other people.

You better hope your firm doesn’t hire an expert to analyze black associate writing samples against this thread. You’ve messed up.
From http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... &start=100
LMAO, I am not that person. LOL. I am a doctor of chiropractic in San Diego. I have decided to study law in an local non-aba school.
He/she was talking about objctnyrhnr, not you. I thought you were done with us anyway?
Mantrain wrote:I am not a flame but I have spent way too much time on this topic -- there is no point here except to argue without purpose.
Also, where's your office? I have back issues from being a lawyer all day in a chair.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:41 pm

I cannot get away from an entertaining conversation.... I am in Mission Valley, San Diego.... ahh to live in San Diego, it's like the YLS of cities.

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Mantrain wrote:I cannot get away from an entertaining conversation.... I am in Mission Valley, San Diego.... ahh to live in San Diego, it's like the YLS of cities.
You've been a pretty good flame. Thank you for that.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:46 pm

Mantrain wrote:I cannot get away from an entertaining conversation.... I am in Mission Valley, San Diego.... ahh to live in San Diego, it's like the YLS of cities.
This isn't really entertaining dood. In all sincerity, consider leaving TLS. It's a toxic place. Get advice from lawyers in person, or from your relatives in the law. You don't even know if you're talking to real lawyers here. You could be talking to trolls or teenage kids. I remember the JohnnieCockran poster from another thread too. They got called out by mods for using sockpuppets, to win a debate over belt color. See below. Is that something a working lawyer would do?
JohnnieSockran wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:It really cant be more simple for guys. Wear a navy or dark charcoal suit. Wear a white shirt with a spread or point collar and red/blue tie with a conservative pattern. Button down collar looks bad. Wear black cap toe oxfords with matching belt (can get away with dark brown oxfords, but ultra conservative places you should really just play it safe with black). And for the love of god just wear socks that match your suit color.
+1 on the socks. Once had someone told me that the only thing interviewers should remember about your attire is that you didn't mess it up.
Um? no? this is so wrong. Socks generally match the shoes and belt, NOT the suit. If you match your navy suit with navy socks but are wearing black shoes / belt, you look like an idiot.

Standard:
Navy or charcoal suit / black shoes, black socks, black belt
Navy suit / brown shoes, navy socks, brown belt
Light grey suit / brown shoes, light grey socks, brown belt
Completely wrong. Socks match pants, and if you think otherwise, don't give fashion advice.

https://www.gq.com/story/sock-match-debate

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/how-t ... oes-pants/

See basic rule #3 in second link.
JohnnieSockran wrote:Agree with above poster re: socks match pants.

Also, agree that shoes match the belt, OR you could just be a G, buy custom suits and get tab sides instead of belt loops and not need a belt (or if you want to go the MTM route, Tom Ford makes most suits this way with tabs instead of belt loops too). Boom, no belt needed.

MOD EDIT: It's one thing to abuse anon for stuff that doesn't deserve anonymity. I'd simply de-anon you in that case. It's another thing to pimp your own posts. SHAME! SHAME!
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 8&start=25

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:07 pm

"if you had a decent undergrad GPA and do well on the LSAT you can go to an ABA school for free. This is really good advice from objctnyrhnr."

Dix I think you and one other poster are the only non toxs here. but to your prev point, I went to LMU in 92, and my degree was 3.4, and then I went to chiro college and that lowered my GPA too much to get in to a good school. I must cont to work to support my family so the current route is the best one for me I think.

Wow there really are people like that who analyse ties, shoes, etc. and they end up here on TLS forum. I think I will change my screenname to anti-TLL just to combat the tox.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Mantrain wrote:"if you had a decent undergrad GPA and do well on the LSAT you can go to an ABA school for free. This is really good advice from objctnyrhnr."

Dix I think you and one other poster are the only non toxs here. but to your prev point, I went to LMU in 92, and my degree was 3.4, and then I went to chiro college and that lowered my GPA too much to get in to a good school. I must cont to work to support my family so the current route is the best one for me I think.

Wow there really are people like that who analyse ties, shoes, etc. and they end up here on TLS forum. I think I will change my screenname to anti-TLL just to combat the tox.
Yes. If your LSAT score is high enough, you can go to an ABA law school for free. Zero charge. Buy LSAT practice exams and take them to boost your score. Do this in time to take the LSAT and apply for admission in Fall 2019. You have to plan the timeline. https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines

With your science background you're smart enough to do well on the LSAT. I had friends do chiro. They had to learn organic chemistry and other hard subjects. Chiro school was harder to get into than law school.

Good luck.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:34 pm

chiro school was easy to get in, but hard to stay in. first-trimester class had 100, only 35 graduated -- half gone in first trimester. But I think there is something easy about it in the sense that it is like studying history, you just need to remember stuff, types of cells, diseases --

You do not think my avg GPA in chiro college would wash me out of a TLL, plus my age? I do not even think we have a TLL in San Diego.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm

Mantrain wrote:chiro school was easy to get in, but hard to stay in. first-trimester class had 100, only 35 graduated -- half gone in first trimester. But I think there is something easy about it in the sense that it is like studying history, you just need to remember stuff, types of cells, diseases --

You do not think my avg GPA in chiro college would wash me out of a TLL, plus my age? I do not even think we have a TLL in San Diego.
Not at all. Here's a website with the results of everyone who applied to every school. People got full scholarships to San Diego and Cal Western with a 3.4 GPA and a 160 LSATs (not hard). I don't know if your chiro GPA matters for law school admissions. I'd call them. Both of them have night schools too (not sure if need to do a correspondent school though.)
http://calwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants
http://sandiego.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 pm

dixiecup wrote:
This isn't really entertaining dood. In all sincerity, consider leaving TLS. It's a toxic place. Get advice from lawyers in person, or from your relatives in the law. You don't even know if you're talking to real lawyers here. You could be talking to trolls or teenage kids. I remember the JohnnieCockran poster from another thread too. They got called out by mods for using sockpuppets, to win a debate over belt color. See below. Is that something a working lawyer would do?
Oh god, get over yourself. You're right, I'm not a practicing lawyer cause I tried some stupid trick over a stupid debate about belts, mostly because the mods here are a joke on this new site since it changed ownership, so everyone else is just living the anon life in most threads.

I think I generally give fairly decent advice, but if people don't want it, I'll see myself out.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:02 pm

adcomms would look at your chiropractor degree, but grad GPAs don't matter nearly as much because schools don't report them to USNWR for the law school rankings. Only undergrad GPAs count for rankings, so they carry the most weight. (Out of GPAs, that is - GPA and LSAT are most important in your application overall, LSAT probably a little more so than UGPA.)

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:44 pm

This is getting interesting. I really do not want to wait though until fall 19 -- unless I would get in, then maybe. But still not sure what the advantages of Cal Western would be. I am rather certain Cal Western would want me to pay lotsa money. Everyone wants $$$$$$. But I could just cont where I am at and take the LSAT, see how I do, and go from there.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm

what % is 160 on the LSAT? I would think you just have to have a special brain to get a really high score bc I remember the games section (Which has been maybe 25 years since I looked) were very tricky - like trick questions.

Ahh there is something else I recall, I went to community college before I transferred to LMU and my GPA was less than in my four year. I think it was about 3.0. I am certainly destined for non aba.

also might I qualify for student loans if I already have an advanced degree?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:27 pm

They will count your community college grades, but you can absolutely get into an ABA school with a 3.-something GPA. People make it into some of the very top schools in the country with 3.1-3.2ish. (Admittedly not with money, at the very top schools, but if you want to stay in San Diego those aren't an option anyway.)

And you don't need a special brain to do well on the LSAT. It's learnable. You just need to put in the work.

I get that you may still decide it's not what you need, but don't go into this presuming you can't get into those schools.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 pm

How learnable is the LSAT, really? bc I remember reading many years ago that no matter what you do, studying it cannot really raise the results for most. This may be a diff thread, I am sure there is a thread about this one topic. USD does sound nice. But I couldnt pay all that money really unless I could get govt loans.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Absolutely learnable. It’s a myth that studying doesn’t make a difference. The most learnable portion is the games.

dixiecup

New

Post by dixiecup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:28 am

JohnnieSockran wrote:Oh god, get over yourself. You're right, I'm not a practicing lawyer cause I tried some stupid trick over a stupid debate about belts, mostly because the mods here are a joke on this new site since it changed ownership, so everyone else is just living the anon life in most threads.
Heh. I'll admit I've noticed side adjusters ever since I learned about them from your post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 am

Mantrain wrote:How learnable is the LSAT, really? bc I remember reading many years ago that no matter what you do, studying it cannot really raise the results for most. This may be a diff thread, I am sure there is a thread about this one topic. USD does sound nice. But I couldnt pay all that money really unless I could get govt loans.
I used to tutor the LSAT in law school, and yes, the LSAT is arguably one of the MOST learnable tests IMO. It takes a lot of work and practice, but if you're committed and use the right tools you can absolutely improve by huge amounts. I think from my initial practice test to the real thing I improved by ~17 points. I think that's usually on the high end of improvement levels, but certainly achievable with work.

Agree that the games are also the most learnable...I think I went from around 50% correct to 100% on gameday. Reading comprehension was the hardest score for me to bring up, and I think I went from around 65% to like 75-80%.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 am

Mantrain wrote:How learnable is the LSAT, really? bc I remember reading many years ago that no matter what you do, studying it cannot really raise the results for most. This may be a diff thread, I am sure there is a thread about this one topic. USD does sound nice. But I couldnt pay all that money really unless I could get govt loans.
Also, frankly, if you find that it's impossible to raise your score on the LSAT that's probably a sign that you'll struggle to pass the California bar. You don't need to score in the 90th percentile or anything, but bar passage rates drop off precipitously for people with LSATs under about the 145-150. Not saying that's the case for you, but it's a decent indicator of how likely you are to pass the bar without spending thousands of dollars and three years of your life going to law school to find out. The LSAT is absolutely learnable for the vast majority of people who are eligible to take it though.

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Given your GPA, you'll probably be looking at a sizeable scholarship from USD with an LSAT score in the mid-high 160s.

Will echo what others have said re: the LSAT being learnable. I improved by 15 - 20 points after 6ish weeks of at home study, so it's definitely doable. If I were you, my focus would be on improving my LSAT score for the December LSAT so that I could get a scholarship at an ABA-accredited school. Again, given your age and plan, I think that going to a lower ranked school on either a substantial scholarship or a free ride is probably a defensible choice, and having that credential will help with your future client development efforts.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:10 pm

hoos89 wrote:
Also, frankly, if you find that it's impossible to raise your score on the LSAT that's probably a sign that you'll struggle to pass the California bar. You don't need to score in the 90th percentile or anything, but bar passage rates drop off precipitously for people with LSATs under about the 145-150. Not saying that's the case for you, but it's a decent indicator of how likely you are to pass the bar without spending thousands of dollars and three years of your life going to law school to find out. The LSAT is absolutely learnable for the vast majority of people who are eligible to take it though.

Well, I suppose I could start studying/practising the LSAT to find out where I stand. Sounds like an interesting challenge for me. But I wanted to start law school now, and I am enrolled. the traditional route puts me back one year.

edit: I am curious, what others think on this topic of the LSAT, if I study the LSAT and improve on some core skills, will those skills be transferable to law school? IE, if I sent 6 hard weeks studying for the LSAT, even if I never went to an ABA school, would that time spent be an equivalent investment in study from the built up skill sets? This could be a question for a diff thread but...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:44 pm

There are some law schools that have January start dates. Thomas Jefferson and California western are the only two I know of in SD. Although they are not good law schools they would be much better than a non-aba school if you are unable to wait for fall 2019. It would be very possible for you to get a full ride at either without much lsat prep.

Mantrain

New

Post by Mantrain » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 pm

TJSL, OMG avg school debt is $190k accd to Wikipedia. Thomas Jefferson probly wont be giving anyone a free ride. Why would they? They are all about money, nothing else.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Mantrain wrote:TJSL, OMG avg school debt is $190k accd to Wikipedia. Thomas Jefferson probly wont be giving anyone a free ride. Why would they? They are all about money, nothing else.
I received a full scholarship offer from TJSL at one point. LSN shows that this year someone with a 157/3.3 also landed one. There arent many TJSL students who use LSN so it is hard to get much insight into how many full rides are offered.

edit http://thomasjefferson.lawschoolnumbers ... cholarship

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Stepped away from this thread for a couple days and I saw that people are saying I threatened OP and are dragging me into that alt screen name thing from another thread? Not sure where any of that came from, but it’s very confusing.

I’ve been suspicious of OP for being a flame from the beginning. I said OP sounds lazy for being unwilling to learn the Lsat to get a full ride. I said OP is naive. If OP is real, OP is naive.

Can somebody explain?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”