UIUC for St. Louis? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
olemiss18

New

UIUC for St. Louis?

Post by olemiss18 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Hey, folks. I was recently admitted off the waitlist at UIUC with a hefty scholarship that I don't deserve but am grateful to have. It's made UIUC the easy decision by a mile, so I'll be attending this fall. I am pretty aware of their pipeline to Chicago, but do UIUC students fair well in St. Louis? I realize that the more ideal option for St. Louis specifically would be WUSTL, but is it realistic to think (assuming above median grades) I have decent opportunities of landing interviews with St. Louis firms?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: UIUC for St. Louis?

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:27 pm

olemiss18 wrote:Hey, folks. I was recently admitted off the waitlist at UIUC with a hefty scholarship that I don't deserve but am grateful to have. It's made UIUC the easy decision by a mile, so I'll be attending this fall. I am pretty aware of their pipeline to Chicago, but do UIUC students fair well in St. Louis? I realize that the more ideal option for St. Louis specifically would be WUSTL, but is it realistic to think (assuming above median grades) I have decent opportunities of landing interviews with St. Louis firms?
Yes, UIUC does a good job of placing in St. Louis. There are a lot of StL firms that go to OCI, including some 1L hiring. St. Louis big law is still competitive, you'll probably need to be top 1/4 to get it. But landing a job in general in StL shouldn't be that hard as long as you network

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:39 pm

Are you from St. Louis? At least at WUSTL, it's tough to crack the market if you don't have strong ties to the area, although I can't speak to UIUC.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:32 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:Hey, folks. I was recently admitted off the waitlist at UIUC with a hefty scholarship that I don't deserve but am grateful to have. It's made UIUC the easy decision by a mile, so I'll be attending this fall. I am pretty aware of their pipeline to Chicago, but do UIUC students fair well in St. Louis? I realize that the more ideal option for St. Louis specifically would be WUSTL, but is it realistic to think (assuming above median grades) I have decent opportunities of landing interviews with St. Louis firms?
Yes, UIUC does a good job of placing in St. Louis. There are a lot of StL firms that go to OCI, including some 1L hiring. St. Louis big law is still competitive, you'll probably need to be top 1/4 to get it. But landing a job in general in StL shouldn't be that hard as long as you network
I disagree with the bold. In general, it is very tough to get an STL big law job since there are so few of them. Going to U of I will not preclude one from being considered, but deep ties and rockstar grades are important.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
I disagree with the bold. In general, it is very tough to get an STL big law job since there are so few of them. Going to U of I will not preclude one from being considered, but deep ties and rockstar grades are important.
I said big law is hard that they would need top 1/4 grades. I don't think rock star (i.e. top 10%) is necessarily needed based on the ppl I know who got big law in St. Louis. I was talking about just landing a general legal job would not be that hard in St. Louis. Although I was assuming OP had some ties

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:24 am

OP, my answer is still retake since you have a ~4.0 GPA and a mediocre LSAT score.

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Wubbles wrote:OP, my answer is still retake since you have a ~4.0 GPA and a mediocre LSAT score.
Thanks, you seem like a great person.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:26 pm

olemiss18 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:OP, my answer is still retake since you have a ~4.0 GPA and a mediocre LSAT score.
I'm just giving you the best advice there is. UIUC is a fine school, but with your GPA and goals you should be going to a better school for the same price. I was in a similar situation to you at one point and I retook. Feel free to PM me. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being honest.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:34 pm

olemiss18 wrote:
They're giving you good advice....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 am

Wubbles wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:
I'm just giving you the best advice there is. UIUC is a fine school, but with your GPA and goals you should be going to a better school for the same price. I was in a similar situation to you at one point and I retook. Feel free to PM me. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being honest.

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but let me paint in the picture a bit: I have a neurological disorder that affects my fine motor skills. It's never been too great of a hindrance in classroom settings, but standardized exams are a different thing. I've always scored significantly lower on such exams compared to grades in the classroom, despite putting in the kind of time and effort that one would expect to produce similarly successful results. I felt like I did the best I could on the LSAT under the circumstances that I've grown up with and how I felt on test day.

I'm not at all saying you should know that about me before giving advice, because I agree that your advice is sound. But I do think it's best to not throwout judgmental adjectives like mediocre when you don't know if there's a story there. I really do appreciate your advice, and I'm sorry I was snarky.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:27 pm

olemiss18 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but let me paint in the picture a bit: I have a neurological disorder that affects my fine motor skills. It's never been too great of a hindrance in classroom settings, but standardized exams are a different thing. I've always scored significantly lower on such exams compared to grades in the classroom, despite putting in the kind of time and effort that one would expect to produce similarly successful results. I felt like I did the best I could on the LSAT under the circumstances that I've grown up with and how I felt on test day.

I'm not at all saying you should know that about me before giving advice, because I agree that your advice is sound. But I do think it's best to not throwout judgmental adjectives like mediocre when you don't know if there's a story there. I really do appreciate your advice, and I'm sorry I was snarky.
Will UIUC be giving you special accommodations? Unlike undergrad, 1L grades are almost entirely determined by timed exams similar to standardized exams

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:05 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:

Will UIUC be giving you special accommodations? Unlike undergrad, 1L grades are almost entirely determined by timed exams similar to standardized exams
Admittedly, I haven't begun communication with them on that front. I'd been debating it. If most exams are typed, I don't think it'll be a problem. Hand-to-pencil coordination is a lot more of an issue, and I'll likely talk with professors individually if that's the requirement or perhaps the law school itself.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Would LSAC not grant an accommodation?

Most law school exams are typed but there are some multiple choice ones. I never had one as a 1L that I can remember so might just mean you have to keep an eye on that when picking upper level classes, or might mean getting an accommodation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:29 pm

olemiss18 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:

Admittedly, I haven't begun communication with them on that front. I'd been debating it. If most exams are typed, I don't think it'll be a problem. Hand-to-pencil coordination is a lot more of an issue, and I'll likely talk with professors individually if that's the requirement or perhaps the law school itself.
Yeah, the vast majority of the exams will be typed, especially 1L, but I do remember that there were at least a couple 1L professors who had part of their exam as multiple choice. I would just flag it for the admin at UIUC now so they're aware.

Also, to hoos question, did you ask LSAC for an accommodation? I am an alum and have a good career, but if you can retake with accommodations and possibly get the same scholarship amount from a t-13 it is definitely something to consider.

olemiss18

New

Post by olemiss18 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:04 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:
Wubbles wrote:
olemiss18 wrote:

Yeah, the vast majority of the exams will be typed, especially 1L, but I do remember that there were at least a couple 1L professors who had part of their exam as multiple choice. I would just flag it for the admin at UIUC now so they're aware.

Also, to hoos question, did you ask LSAC for an accommodation? I am an alum and have a good career, but if you can retake with accommodations and possibly get the same scholarship amount from a t-13 it is definitely something to consider.

I thought hard on seeking accommodations for the LSAT, but I decided against it. Although I feel the biological cards were stacked against me in one respect, I wanted to play the game on the same level as everyone else. A solid part of me still thinks that for law school, hence my debate about it. But again, since it's mostly typed I think it'll be fine. I will mention my potential need to the school, but there's still no replacing the sense of accomplishment one gets from succeeding by his own standards on the same playing field as everyone else. That's all I was getting at when I was addressing the mediocre comment.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Not sure exactly how LSAC accommodations work, but I think the answer could be as simple as having you write down the responses on a piece of paper and having someone transcribe them for you. I see that as evening the playing field, not giving you an advantage. Your physical ability to bubble in a scantron should have zero bearing on how you score on a test.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”