Emory for Big Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rehli414

New

Emory for Big Law?

Post by Rehli414 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm

I have taken the LSAT a total of three times now. Cancel/165/cancel. I have extreme test anxiety (start trembling, vision blurs, can't breathe) and have decided that I will not retake a fourth time and just accept the 165, although I have a 3.99 GPA and my PT scores are in the 175+ range when relaxed. Regardless, long term I have an interest in pursuing big law in the Atlanta region, and was wondering what the big law employment outcomes have been for Emory grads since I have a pretty decent shot at admission to Emory with a 165.

nealric

Re: Emory for Big Law?

Post by nealric » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:02 pm

I wouldn't count on it. Atlanta is a small market and a huge portion of Emory grads are going to be gunning for Atlanta biglaw. They are competing against Atlanta natives who attended HYSCCN and the like.

I think you will need to ask yourself if being in biglaw or being in Atlanta are more important to you. If the former, your numbers would give you a decent shot at schools with much better biglaw prospects. I think you'd have a decent shot at Berkely, Cornell, UT, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown with those numbers- which all have better biglaw placement. However, none of those schools is going to be spectacular for Atlanta. You may have an easier time lateraling to Atlanta from a larger biglaw market. Spending a few years in NYC might be a good option. If being in Atlanta from the start is more important than biglaw, then you are going to need to keep costs down. Paying full fare at Emory and taking a small firm or government job would be a recipe for financial stress.

One thing to keep in mind: the tests are not going to end when you start law school law school. Each 1L class is going to be graded based on a single test. Then, you won't be allowed to practice until you pass a massive 2-3 day exam. You might consider visiting a psychiatrist if the test anxiety is causing serious symptoms. They may be able to prescribe something that will make your test taking much more tolerable.

Rehli414

New

Post by Rehli414 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:39 pm

nealric wrote:I wouldn't count on it. Atlanta is a small market and a huge portion of Emory grads are going to be gunning for Atlanta biglaw. They are competing against Atlanta natives who attended HYSCCN and the like.

I think you will need to ask yourself if being in biglaw or being in Atlanta are more important to you. If the former, your numbers would give you a decent shot at schools with much better biglaw prospects. I think you'd have a decent shot at Berkely, Cornell, UT, Vanderbilt, and Georgetown with those numbers- which all have better biglaw placement. However, none of those schools is going to be spectacular for Atlanta. You may have an easier time lateraling to Atlanta from a larger biglaw market. Spending a few years in NYC might be a good option. If being in Atlanta from the start is more important than biglaw, then you are going to need to keep costs down. Paying full fare at Emory and taking a small firm or government job would be a recipe for financial stress.

One thing to keep in mind: the tests are not going to end when you start law school law school. Each 1L class is going to be graded based on a single test. Then, you won't be allowed to practice until you pass a massive 2-3 day exam. You might consider visiting a psychiatrist if the test anxiety is causing serious symptoms. They may be able to prescribe something that will make your test taking much more tolerable.

Thanks for your response. I am equally interested in both, but I think I would probably choose NYC for a few years and then transfer to Atlanta if need be (I am originally from the NYC metropolitan area, but have family in ATL). How do you feel about Duke and big law placement in the ATL area?

In terms of the test anxiety, it is very strange because I have never dealt with any kind of performance anxiety until this test. I am really against retaking, but perhaps I will see if I can get some kind of medication for test day (Ex.beta blockers) because I do feel that without the physiological symptoms I could easily score in the 170+ range.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Rehli414 wrote:
nealric wrote:I wouldn't count on it. Atlanta is a small market and a huge portion of Emory grads are going to be gunning for Atlanta biglaw. They are competing against Atlanta natives who attended HYSCCN and the like.

Thanks for your response. I am equally interested in both, but I think I would probably choose NYC for a few years and then transfer to Atlanta if need be (I am originally from the NYC metropolitan area, but have family in ATL). How do you feel about Duke and big law placement in the ATL area?

In terms of the test anxiety, it is very strange because I have never dealt with any kind of performance anxiety until this test. I am really against retaking, but perhaps I will see if I can get some kind of medication for test day (Ex.beta blockers) because I do feel that without the physiological symptoms I could easily score in the 170+ range.
Duke has very good biglaw placement, so it's not a bad option. However, unless you have rockstar credentials, Atlanta is always going to be a bit of a crapshoot as there are only a few dozen entry level slots there every year.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 pm

I recommend that you figure out the test anxiety thing before going to law school. Law school is a pressure cooker, especially 1L. And you're going to need to do well if you want Atlanta big law from Emory, which only placed 30.3% of c/o 2017 in firms of 100+ attorneys or federal clerkships.

I don't think I need to tell you that with a 175 and your GPA, you could go pretty much anywhere. You'd have a good chance at Yale and be a lock for Harvard. If you sent UVA a letter explaining that you really want to go there and are interested in working in the southeast, you'd have a decent shot at a full ride there. Also a decent shot at a solid scholarship from Duke. Those are all better options than Emory for Atlanta big law.

In any case, make sure UVA, Duke, and Vanderbilt are on your list of schools to apply to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”