T4 with Full Scholarship or T3 with 75% Scholarship? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rhizomaticity

New

T4 with Full Scholarship or T3 with 75% Scholarship?

Post by rhizomaticity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Both schools are in the same state and have strong employment numbers upwards of 75% 9 months after graduation (75% for the T4 and 85% for the T3).
T3 scholarship would go up to 100% if I get all A's during 1L.
I'm thinking I can always attend one of them and transfer.

hoos89

Gold

Re: T4 with Full Scholarship or T3 with 75% Scholarship?

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Would be helpful to know what schools, what your career goals (desired practice, target market, etc.) are and what your alternatives to law school are.

Is it 75% total employment or 75% full-time, long-term employment in a JD required position? Big difference. Also bear in mind that even if it's the latter, most of those jobs probably pay in the lower mode of the salary scale ($40-$70k range)...maybe not deal-breaking if you're graduating with relatively little debt and are okay with that sort of outcome but something you should at least know going in.

Are either of these scholarships not guaranteed for all 3 years? Definitely stay away from anything like that because those sorts of schools often play games with scholarships (i.e. they set a reasonable looking threshold like 3.0 but have a median of 2.8, or they stack all of the scholarship recipients in one or two sections so some people are guaranteed to lose them). In any case I certainly would not bank on getting the 100% scholarship after 1L.

Realistically your best option is probably to sit out this cycle and retake the LSAT unless you have goals that makes sense to go to a T3/4 on a scholarship.

tier4_partner

New

Post by tier4_partner » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm

It sort of depends on which schools you’re talking about.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:56 pm

rhizomaticity wrote:Both schools are in the same state and have strong employment numbers upwards of 75% 9 months after graduation (75% for the T4 and 85% for the T3).
Up-to can mean many things.
All A's....waaaay easier said than done.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Toni V wrote:
rhizomaticity wrote:Both schools are in the same state and have strong employment numbers upwards of 75% 9 months after graduation (75% for the T4 and 85% for the T3).
Up-to can mean many things.
All A's....waaaay easier said than done.
"The scholarship will go up to 100%" is not the same thing as "the scholarship will be increase to up to 100%".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Neither unless you have a guaranteed job lined up

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

What are the requirements to keep the scholarship at both schools?? That’s the real question/ information we need to help you

rhizomaticity

New

Post by rhizomaticity » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

The requirement for either scholarship is just good academic standing. There is no minimum GPA and I can't lose the scholarship as long as I'm enrolled full-time.

The T3 is Northern Illinois, and T4 is Southern Illinois-Carbondale. Both schools have bar passage rates upwards of 75%. Carbondale has employment of 75% and Northern Illinois employment of 85% 9 months after graduation.

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:12 am

you should probably just not be going to school at either. What are your career and salary goals? Do you want to be a lawyer, or just simply employed? the data is all available to tell you that this is not a great idea for most. And people actually fail out of these schools!

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/siu/

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/niu/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Itwasascam

New

Post by Itwasascam » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:13 am

rhizomaticity wrote:The requirement for either scholarship is just good academic standing. There is no minimum GPA and I can't lose the scholarship as long as I'm enrolled full-time.

The T3 is Northern Illinois, and T4 is Southern Illinois-Carbondale. Both schools have bar passage rates upwards of 75%. Carbondale has employment of 75% and Northern Illinois employment of 85% 9 months after graduation.
Do you want a job or a job as a lawyer?

Northern Illinois has 60% of its grads get JD required and Southern Illinois has 55%

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/siu/jobs/

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/niu/jobs/

Neither school is a good option if you want to be a lawyer

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:45 am

rhizomaticity wrote:The requirement for either scholarship is just good academic standing.
What do they curve to? Some schools may still have B- curves. Is a C good standing? A C-?

How many 1Ls drop out due to not keeping good academic standing?

What are your own career goals? Presumably you want to be a lawyer, but that's very generic. What kind of law and where? Do you see yourself ever leaving the state? What are your stats?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:10 pm

The key here is what do you want to do and where do you want to do it? I'd say if you want any legal job in Chicago or any job that pays you more than $60k, don't go to either. If you are ok with working at a small firm and/or maybe a PD's office in a rural northern IL county go to NIU. Same goes for SIU if you want to work in downstate Illinois.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:The key here is what do you want to do and where do you want to do it? I'd say if you want any legal job in Chicago or any job that pays you more than $60k, don't go to either. If you are ok with working at a small firm and/or maybe a PD's office in a rural northern IL county go to NIU. Same goes for SIU if you want to work in downstate Illinois.
If none of those are appealing options, retake and go to at least U of I on scholarship

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”