GWU ($$) vs. Fordham (unknown but $ or 0) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MaxMcMann

Bronze

GWU ($$) vs. Fordham (unknown but $ or 0)

Post by MaxMcMann » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm

I got into GWU with a 105k scholarship. My goal is to practice BigLaw in NY, although from my years as a paralegal I have good connections at a small firm and a midlaw firm and am pretty confident I could get an interview at either, and probably a near guaranteed position at the former. I honestly wouldn't even be averse to a below market firm as I've seen enough people struggle 5-10 years then develop a nice career from what is called shitlaw here.

I have parents who are in a good position to help me with the balance of tuition, although obviously they'd prefer I go to the cheapest school possible (as immigrants, unreasonably so - they urged me to consider St. John's level full rides which I think is an obviously bad idea). I'm waitlisted at 3 T14s and would obviously go to any of them at sticker, but given how oversubscribed they are and my stats, I put my odds of that becoming a consideration somewhere in the "mega millions winner" probability spectrum.

I have wanted Fordham since the beginning. My GPA is 3.1 and my LSATs were 169, 169 and 164 (canceled June last year due to medical issue, did September, December and one last ditch shot in June which clearly fell short). I have C&F issues and am also 27 years old at this point, so I don't feel like retaking yet again is the way to go. As I'm sure you can tell, I did not take college all that seriously.

My question is, if Fordham accepts me, what is the price point where it's worth going? It has better BL placement (42% vs. 28% last year, if BL is counted as over 100 attorneys), less unemployment, and would allow me to potentially work part time after 1L and snag that midlaw or small firm job if BL doesn't work out. I 100% intend to aim for New York during OCI and will do my utmost to land back here one way or another due to extensive ties.

Obviously if Fordham offers something in the 90k+ range, I'll take it. But that seems unlikely given their general stinginess and my waitlist status.

What, in your view, is the point where Fordham is a better choice? I figure at 75k it still is, but I saw someone on LSN get in with 15k, which would give me serious heartburn as I have no idea if the extra 90k in debt is worth the upgrade.

MaxMcMann

Bronze

Re: GWU ($$) vs. Fordham (unknown but $ or 0)

Post by MaxMcMann » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Oh, and GWU is 100% preselect whereas Fordham is 35% lottery.

Law2019

New

Re: GWU ($$) vs. Fordham (unknown but $ or 0)

Post by Law2019 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 pm

If you want NY big law then Fordham, at the right price point, is a no-brainer over GW. Personally, I did not accept a 90k offer from Fordham. I later accepted a revised offer that was substantially higher. But if my parents were helping with tuition I 100% would have accepted the 90k offer

Return to “Choosing a Law School”