Prestige Comaprison Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Wildcat44

New

Prestige Comaprison

Post by Wildcat44 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 pm

Which is a more prestigious law school, Tulane or Wake Forest?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Prestige Comaprison

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 pm

I dont know what you mean by prestige, given neither is necessarily prestigious.

If you want to go work in a small firm or local government in NC, Wake for free is defensible.

If you want to go work in a small firm or local government in Louisiana, Tulane for free is defensible.

If those aren't attractive options to you, then you should look elsewhere.

Wildcat44

New

Post by Wildcat44 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 pm

Haha you got to get a life man

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 pm

I answered your question truthfully. Go see the employment outcomes from those schools. Go talk to real attorneys in those areas and in national cities. I guarantee you finding a Tulane lawyer say in SF is going to be exceptionally rare.

uncle_rico

New

Post by uncle_rico » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 pm

He’s right. Unless you’re going to a top 20 school, you should go to the best school in the state you want to practice in. Schools are a lot more regional than applicants like to think. Even considering the best law schools, Stanford would be a bit of a headscratcher if you wanted to practice in DC or NY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wildcat44

New

Post by Wildcat44 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Your wisdom is legendary. Thank you.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:00 am

Wildcat44 wrote:Which is a more prestigious law school, Tulane or Wake Forest?
Neither is particularly prestigious. That doesn't equate to them being bad schools; they're not. They just aren't prestigious. If that is your main metric, you should re-evaluate using other criteria.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am

People that live in my area think my school is a great school and it has local lay prestige. That won't help me get a job anywhere but locally though. GL

Sharpy

New

Post by Sharpy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:27 am

I think the question you are really asking is which school will look better to employers, and the answer is it doesn't matter. Pick one that is closest to the area you want to work in, and then forget about everything else except getting top of the class grades 1L year. No matter where you go to school, that is the only thing about 1L that matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:35 am

Sharpy wrote:
I think the question you are really asking is which school will look better to employers, and the answer is it doesn't matter. Pick one that is closest to the area you want to work in, and then forget about everything else except getting top of the class grades 1L year. No matter where you go to school, that is the only thing about 1L that matters.
Based on post history, this kid is currently at some unranked school in New Orleans and is looking to transfer, so has already completed 1L. Apparently wants to practice in Texas, so I'm not getting why s/he is looking at Wake or Tulane considering they're both regional schools.

Sharpy

New

Post by Sharpy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:43 am

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:
Sharpy wrote:
Based on post history, this kid is currently at some unranked school in New Orleans and is looking to transfer, so has already completed 1L. Apparently wants to practice in Texas, so I'm not getting why s/he is looking at Wake or Tulane considering they're both regional schools.
Uh yeah, that doesn't quite make sense unless he is genuinely curious about school "prestige," in which case, lol. But if he is looking to transfer, OP should transfer to Tulane and hammer any networking connections he has made through out the past year. Transferring to another market at this point seems beyond idiotic.

Scrichard1279

New

Post by Scrichard1279 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:01 am

sparkytrainer wrote:I answered your question truthfully. Go see the employment outcomes from those schools. Go talk to real attorneys in those areas and in national cities. I guarantee you finding a Tulane lawyer say in SF is going to be exceptionally rare.
Also, are you from Louisiana and plan to practice in the state? Could be the biggest thing you need to consider because Tulane may offer some common law but primarily civil law will be taught.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:53 pm

I agree that neither of these schools are cosidered prestigious by employers. However, your average joe would certainly consider any law school prestigious. If you are just trying to impress your friends and family who are not elitists they will probably be impressed with either of these options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 am

Scrichard1279 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:I answered your question truthfully. Go see the employment outcomes from those schools. Go talk to real attorneys in those areas and in national cities. I guarantee you finding a Tulane lawyer say in SF is going to be exceptionally rare.
Also, are you from Louisiana and plan to practice in the state? Could be the biggest thing you need to consider because Tulane may offer some common law but primarily civil law will be taught.
Tulane doesn't require anyone to take Civil Law courses, so the bolded is not accurate.

OP - I'm a '12 Tulane Law grad that works in-house in Houston. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about it.

Clacknesing

New

Post by Clacknesing » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Hi to everyone here! guys, i had the same questions about the schools, which you have mentioned above, and i am happy that i have found this thread with the information!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”