Georgetown (40k/year) or Retake? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eve173

New

Georgetown (40k/year) or Retake?

Post by eve173 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Hello,

I am deciding between attending Georgetown Law or retaking the LSAT and reapplying. Georgetown is offering me 40k/year, which brings my COA to approximately 120k, all being financed through loans. I have taken the LSAT once and scored a 161. I have an undergraduate GPA of 3.88 Phi Beta Kappa from UChicago. One major thing I am worried about in retaking the LSAT is that some law schools say that they look at all LSAT scores (HYS). I self-studied for the LSAT.

I am interested in initially working in Big Law to pay off my loans after graduating law school, and possibly entering a government position after that. I would like to study tax law or IP. I spent my college summers in DC, but I am considering moving to Chicago after 5 or 10 years.

Is it worth it to take the Georgetown Law scholarship? Is it typical for students to receive 40k/year from Georgetown (am I getting a good deal)?

Thank you for any and all advice.
Last edited by eve173 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Re: Georgetown (40k/year) or Retake?

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Nah. You owe it to yourself to retake.

dropout

New

Post by dropout » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:30 pm

This is a good offer from gtown. Many people on this board believe anyone can get a 170+ but i disagree. If you were not prepping higher and put in a lot of hours into studying then i would take this offer. The question that must be asked is do you believe you can score higher on the lsat.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm

That's a really nice GPA to be wasting on a 161 LSAT. If I were in your shoes, I'd retake. $40k at Georgetown isn't bad, but with a 3.88/170, you'll have plenty of additional options to choose from.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I think both sides have merit.

40k/year from Georgetown is not a bad deal at all with your score.

I would retake IF you think that you did not prepare well for the LSAT and if you were scoring higher on your practice tests. Because if you did the best you could and retook, there's a non-negligible chance that your score might remain the same, go down a point or two, or only go up a couple of points, which will not render your application more competitive next cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:18 pm

Congratulations on a great outcome, particularly considering your LSAT score. I think you could go either way, but it's definitely something of a risky proposition. You have a little better than a coin flip's chance at Big Law, and 120k is certainly serviceable if you get it, but it's going to be very difficult if you don't. I will say, from my end, that I was also a PBKer at UChicago, and I got some better outcomes than my numbers alone might have predicted. I had a 3.83 but managed to hit a 168 on the LSAT.

Honestly, if you hit a 167 or so, you'd be looking at serious cash from Georgetown, since that's their median. Some people may disagree, but you're probably not going to see much of a difference in 162-166 territory, since your value to propping up the school's medians doesn't change much. I'd say retake if you think you can do significantly better on the LSAT. Otherwise, you can roll the dice on your current outcome or forego law school.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:47 pm

Are you URM? If so, just a few points more on that lsat would put you in a great spot. With regards to your worries about HYS looking at multiple takes, theres really nothing to lose. If you don't retake, you have zero shot at those schools, but if you do retake and score higher, then at least you have a fighting chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”