College undergrad seeking law school advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Delcore

New

College undergrad seeking law school advice

Post by Delcore » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:17 am

Writing this a bit earlier than others, but here it goes.

I'm a rising sophomore in college right now. For freshman year I didn't do too hot GPA-wise (3.188) and I'm looking to recover over the next three years. After undergrad I'm looking to do Army OCS and commission as an officer, and eventually using the GI bill to help fund law school. If it's worth mentioning, I am an URM from a low-income background, going to school in DC. My dream school is UVA law.

Any advice on what I should be doing right now to prepare myself, and if there is anything I should take advantage of while I'm still fairly early? Don't have anyone in my direct life to really ask, so I figured I'd consult some law forums.

Thanks

deadpanic

Silver

Re: College undergrad seeking law school advice

Post by deadpanic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:31 am

You should just be focused on bringing your GPA up as much as possible for the next three years.

doggo

New

Post by doggo » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm

I agree - just GPA matters. Sure you can do some extracurriculars or whatever, but those will not be of much value in relation to grades.

Don't worry about LSAT until you're a senior or after you graduate. Right now, focus on GPA.

Law school admissions are largely LSAT + GPA, with work/job experience mattering next, and then interesting extracurricular activities.

I am a T14 student who got into several T14 schools with absolutely no pre-law related experiences. I just had high grades and a high LSAT, and my work experience was an added bonus to push me over.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:33 pm

For admissions purposes, the only thing you should even remotely be thinking about right now is getting straight A's for the rest of undergrad.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:06 am

Max out your GPA with as many easy classes as you can. The two things most important to law schools are your GPA and LSAT. Right now, focus on your GPA.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:51 pm

To echo the other replies, focus on your UG degree. Make sure you're setting yourself up for career success with your UG degree, not just putting law school blinders on. 2 more years is a long time, and your preferences may change.

Put law school out of your mind until the end of your junior year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”