GGU vs Widener vs Villanova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swishbish

New

GGU vs Widener vs Villanova

Post by swishbish » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:38 am

I'm deciding between Golden Gate University (full-tuition scholarship), Widener Delaware Law ($27,000 scholarship) and Villanova University (no scholarship). I'm leaning towards Golden Gate as I would only have to borrow about $50,000 for all three years, compared to $118,000 at Widener and over $200,000 for Villanova (living in san fran wouldn't be too shabby either :lol: ) I've seen so many conflicting opinions about whether or not it's even worth it to attend it a school like Golden Gate but when you're not paying a dime in tuition, what's the risk?? Some say it will be near impossible to find a good job out of GGU and I've also seen testimonies from their alum that are thriving and happy with the education they received. Any advice?? I'm interested in family law

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: GGU vs Widener vs Villanova

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:25 pm

If you are even considering GG, you don't have the critical thinking ability to go to law school.

26% of their graduates ever get a long term legs job. Ever. 1/4. That is disgusting and the school should be shut down. Sure, a handful of graduates succeed, but the overwhelming majority do not. They do not even have a 50% bar passage rate.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/goldengate/jobs/

Widener isn't much better, and Villanova isn't either at that price.

You need to get your lsat score up because these options are literally life ruining decisions. And just because you have tuition covered at GG, doesn't mean you don't have a GPA stipulation and you still have a stupid expensive cost of living.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:57 pm

go to which ever school gives you the highest chance at achieving your goals. there are govt repayment programs to help with the debt (PAYE and REPAYE). 200k/30 year career really isnt that crazy of an "investment".

dedward

New

Post by dedward » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 am

I wouldn’t think twice about the other two schools if you were admitted to Villanova. Villanova is a respectable institution. Go there, and don’t face being condemned about your law degeee for the rest of your life.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 am

If I were in your shoes I'd almost assuredly go to GGU, then if I wasn't in the top 10% after 1L I'd drop out and go do something else with my life. Yeah, it's a bad school, but you're not paying. Your road to becoming a successful lawyer is full of land mines no matter which of these schools you choose. Don't pay for those land mines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:57 am

More like a bad investment. It would be insane for someone to get in debt to pay for these schools. That amount of debt will give OP almost no flexibility if they decide they want to do something else.
Johann wrote:go to which ever school gives you the highest chance at achieving your goals. there are govt repayment programs to help with the debt (PAYE and REPAYE). 200k/30 year career really isnt that crazy of an "investment".

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 am

It might be relatively respectable, especially if you compare it to the two other options. I wouldn't be so sure that OP would not face being condemned going to Villanova ....

dedward wrote:I wouldn’t think twice about the other two schools if you were admitted to Villanova. Villanova is a respectable institution. Go there, and don’t face being condemned about your law degeee for the rest of your life.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:02 am

If one is considering GGU, they should just save themselves the trouble and do something else instead of wasting a year. Or they could use that year to study for the LSAT and retake. That would be a much better use of their time and might help OP avoid those landmine schools altogether.
AJordan wrote:If I were in your shoes I'd almost assuredly go to GGU, then if I wasn't in the top 10% after 1L I'd drop out and go do something else with my life. Yeah, it's a bad school, but you're not paying. Your road to becoming a successful lawyer is full of land mines no matter which of these schools you choose. Don't pay for those land mines.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”