Chapman or Pepperdine Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kells1993

New

Chapman or Pepperdine

Post by kells1993 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:04 pm

I saw an old thread with this same topic. However, it was nearly 10 years old and I'm not sure how accurate the information is.

I received an offer of admission with a scholarship of 18K a year from Pepperdine. My only qualification for renewal is maintaining a 2.8. I'm still waiting on Chapman's offer, however, I know I'll be accepted with a much better scholarship offer.

If I go to Pepperdine I'll acquire 108K in loans plus interest, plus large living expenses as I'll have to move. If I go to chapman, I can live at home for free.

My question is, is it worth acquiring so much debt just to go to a higher ranked school? I'm going into entertainment law.

TheTaylor

New

Re: Chapman or Pepperdine

Post by TheTaylor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:23 am

kells1993 wrote:I saw an old thread with this same topic. However, it was nearly 10 years old and I'm not sure how accurate the information is.

I received an offer of admission with a scholarship of 18K a year from Pepperdine. My only qualification for renewal is maintaining a 2.8. I'm still waiting on Chapman's offer, however, I know I'll be accepted with a much better scholarship offer.

If I go to Pepperdine I'll acquire 108K in loans plus interest, plus large living expenses as I'll have to move. If I go to chapman, I can live at home for free.

My question is, is it worth acquiring so much debt just to go to a higher ranked school? I'm going into entertainment law.
I go to Pepperdine and love it, but I'll try to be unbiased. You just have to figure out what is more important for you. Some people wouldn't go to law school if they had to pay tuition, for others it's all about which school gives them the best employment opportunities. Pepperdine has a lot better employment numbers and sends tons of students into entertainment law. Chapman will definitely be a more affordable option, but won't give you as many opportunities.

You should definitely visit both schools and talk with faculty and admissions about your concerns. I know plenty of people who had their scholarships increased by Pepperdine after their initial offer, so there's a good chance that 18k isn't all your going to get. Also, a 2.8 just means that you need to stay out of the bottom 25% of the class. Chapman may have a similar requirement with their scholarship.

I hope that is somewhat helpful. Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:14 pm

there is no such thing as entertainment law, per se, rather it is an area of practice in which different bodies of law overlap, like contracts, IP, etc... So if you really want to make a career in that sector, you should not consider going to these schools. It will be a up-hill battle... Retake (if you can) and aim for, at least, UCLA.
kells1993 wrote:I saw an old thread with this same topic. However, it was nearly 10 years old and I'm not sure how accurate the information is.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:41 am

Ranking is irrelevant for these schools.

Pepperdine is not even worth it even if you got a full scholarship and just had to take out loans for the cost of living in one of the most expensive communities in the country. I bet you are looking at much more debt than 108k. Even then, 6 figures for a slim chance at a decent job as a lawyer is not worth it.

Entertainment law isn't a thing.

Retake, reapply, and adjust your goals is my candid advice. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”