UCLA vs. USC vs. UT vs. others Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ruko

New

UCLA vs. USC vs. UT vs. others

Post by ruko » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks for the help in advance!

As of right now I have narrowed my search down primarily to my top 3 plus I have a few schools I am on a waiting list for/have not heard back from.

Cost of tuition (all 3 years) for me right now is:
USC: 35,000
UCLA: 50,000
Texas: 109,000 (I still have an opportunity to try to get this lowered)

I have been waitlisted at Cal, Columbia, Duke, and Michigan, and have not heard back from Northwestern or NYU.

I currently live in northern California and had Cal as my #1 going into the process. In the short term I think I would like to stay in California but I also lived in Texas for 5 years and love the city of Austin but not really the rest of the state, although my parents, with whom I am close, live in another part of the state. The ability to work outside of the area I go to law school is a definite plus. I do not know at this point what type of law I want to practice.

I am trying to decide between those 3 schools and if I do get in off any waitlists/get into either Northwestern or NYU with no scholarship money if it would be worth it to take on what would amount to 150,000 extra in debt.

I graduated from USC in 2013 with a 3.77 and I got a 169 on the LSAT. I do not have anything significant in terms of life story/accomplishments. I will be paying for my education fully myself and I do not have any significant savings from the past 4 and 1/2 years of working.

Thanks again!

d373

New

Re: UCLA vs. USC vs. UT vs. others

Post by d373 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm

I'd pick UCLA in your situation. UCLA and SC are pretty close in LA but I think UCLA has a clear edge and probably an even bigger edge outside of LA. Definitely enough to justify the COA.

Overall though, the cliche about all schools outside the T14 being generally regional is basically true. If the COA for Texas comes down I'd decide whether you want to live in one of the Texas markets or Southern California post-law school.

You have great options, congrats.

GouldenBear

New

Post by GouldenBear » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:07 pm

If you want to stay in California, then choose USC. It's the cheapest on your list can get you most jobs throughout California. Of course, if your heart pulls you to the Lone Star state then go to UT--but I'd be hesitant to pay that much more for UT unless you're sure you'd like to end up there.

In LA, USC and UCLA are peer schools with very similar placement numbers. I'd recommend visiting each law school to see which one jives with you more. I would choose the one that's cheaper because they are so similar. Outside of LA, UCLA has a slight edge in reputation, but I don't think that's worth paying much more in tuition for. Both schools barely place any significant number of graduates outside of California.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I agree with both comments above.

For 15k extra, I would personally go with UCLA because I do think it has a better national recognition. If Texas gives you more money and you factor in COL differences and end up paying almost the same, then UT would be a good option - unless you want to work in CA then UCLA or USC would make more sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”