UChicago v Columbia Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
briandumbarton

New

UChicago v Columbia Law School

Post by briandumbarton » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Financial considerations aside, which law school is better? I am interested in working for a corporate firm after graduating. I do not mind working in any large city be it Chicago, New York, DC etc. I have visited both law schools and was blown away by the facilities at UChicago. It also seems to be consistently rising in the rankings now ranked #4 above Columbia's #5. And is just overall gain momentum as a leading institution.

On the other hand, Columbia is an Ivy league located in NYC. I am also concerned by the many comments labelling UChicago as one of the most academically rigorous universities, with anti-social students. Whilst I am in no way afraid of hard work, I also want to be surrounded by students that enjoy some sort of life balance.

Any comments to guide in this decision would be most appreciated.

rowingmyboat

New

Re: UChicago v Columbia Law School

Post by rowingmyboat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Both schools are very good schools and will give you nearly identical prospects of getting you into a firm. Chicago's advantage is that it opens up the Chicago legal market to you, which will still be difficult with no ties but easier than coming from Columbia. Columbia's advantage is it's easier to network for NY firms and NY is a much larger legal market (I'll add Chicago grads do fine in the NY market; they just don't have the advantage Columbia does). Chicago, in general, puts more focus on law and econ, but not all professors there do. Both have outstanding reputations and faculty; the distinction between 4 and 5 is meaningless.

Chicago's negative (positive for some?) rep is way overblown. First year students are somewhat trapped in Hyde Park, but they still go out a ton and the proximity lends itself well to socializing. The students aren't any different than similar law schools.

Both are great options and will get you where you want to go, so its more a decision between which city you prefer. Sounds like you like UChicago more, so go with that and have fun at Mad River/Bub City/the Hangge Uppe.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: UChicago v Columbia Law School

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:44 pm

I wouldn’t put much stock in one or two point variances in the rankings, which shift each year. All the T6 schools are top notch and will provide tons of opportunity. Money would be a big consideration here, then location.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”