Am I Crazy? Full ride T2 over UT? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigTex2017

New

Am I Crazy? Full ride T2 over UT?

Post by BigTex2017 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:57 pm

I've been accepted to Texas and given 15k a year, which cuts tuition down to 20k a year. But i'm choosing to go to a Tier 2 on a full ride instead. I wont have to move, my wife keeps her jobs, and i graduate with no debt. Am i crazy to turn down Texas? We'd have to move, my wife would have to change jobs, we'd have to find a house or pay expensive rent in Austin, lots of negatives on the out of pocket costs to attend. Our goal is to not have much debt, maybe a small loan for books.

I guess im just here trying to justify my choice. Is my reasoning valid?

LSAT 167 GPA 3.33

nealric

Re: Am I Crazy? Full ride T2 over UT?

Post by nealric » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I wouldn't say you are crazy, but the best decision may depend on what sort of career your wife has and how much moving to Austin will truly derail it. If she's working in a relatively low-paying job that's easy to replicate, that's totally different from her being in an investment banker, which wouldn't be transferable to Austin. It also might depend on what you are looking for with your law degree.

If you were a single person, I'd say UT is a no-brainer. Austin is more expensive, but it's not THAT more expensive if you don't have to live in the most desirable areas.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Am I Crazy? Full ride T2 over UT?

Post by deadpanic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:45 pm

As long as you are okay with likely not working in a large firm or clerking for a federal judge, I think this is definitely reasonable, especially given your family circumstances.

What do you want to do after law school is the big question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”