Emory v. CU Boulder Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gab

New

Emory v. CU Boulder

Post by gab » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:30 am

Hi! So the deadline for Emory is coming up very soon and I'm super torn and I have no idea what to do. I've visited both schools this year and it was my first time being in both Atlanta and Boulder. The two schools would cost me about the same with the money they've given me, so that isn't really a factor. I definitely want to do environmental law. I viscerally loved Boulder, loved the vibe of the area and the school. However, I know how important rankings are and obviously Emory is a much higher ranked school that gave me decent money, and I liked it more than I thought I would when I visited. I don't know what to do because I know if Boulder was higher ranked I would 100% go there, but I feel like with the job market/employment prospectives it would be stupid to give up Emory when i definitely liked it. So I have no idea what to do. IS the different between an around 40 ranked school and an around 20 ranked school that significant for job prospects? Does CU environmental focus make up for that difference if thats what I want to do?
HELP

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Emory v. CU Boulder

Post by deadpanic » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm

What kind of environmental law are you talking?

If you are talking about at a private firm, that will generally mean BigLaw. Neither schools are particularly great at placing in that. That also means representing energy & oil & gas companies rather than representing interests in environmental protection.

If you want some kind of more public interest environmental law, I would decide between whether you want to be in Georgia or Colorado.

The rankings are really not that meaningful past the top 16ish schools. Specialty rankings are also mostly meaningless.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”