Wake vs. Tennessee vs. Tulane Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Eli23

New

Wake vs. Tennessee vs. Tulane

Post by Eli23 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Undergrad-University of Michigan (Honors), Earth and Environmental Science; Environmental Law and Policy.
LSAT- 159 (was scoring at least mid 60s on practice tests. Taken 2x.
GPA- 3.75/3.8
I want to live in the south east (TN, NC, VA (?), SC, GA) near a city like Nashville, Charlotte, Greenville, etc. I would like to be an environmental/energy lawyer, or at least deal w/ cases/ issues related to these fields. Preferably working for a private firm.

Considering:
Tennessee
COA- $70k (Full tuition scholarship). Family, loans.
Rank- 65
No envi. focus or clinic. Envi. practicum.
Like the campus and school, but worried about not having the envi. options. Also felt like I could be going to a much more competitive school.

Wake Forest
COA- $160k (33% tuition scholarship)
Rank- 32
No envi. focus or clinic.
Loved the campus and atmosphere, would be very happy. But is it worth the money/is it bad that there are only a few envi/energy classes?

Tulane
COA- $127k (66% tuition scholarship)
Rank- ~55
Extensive envi. classes/focus and clinic.
Nice campus, but New Orleans would be a change I'm not sure I'd want to make.

Also got into GW and South Carolina, but SC tuition would be more than WF and I can't live in DC.

Current thought:
Deposit to WF. Wait to hear back from Vanderbilt (May). Retake LSAT in June. If significant improvement (3+ points), plan to re-apply/apply at the beginning of the cycle in the fall. If not significant improvement, still plan on Wake. Either way, wait to hear back from WL schools (UGA, Emory). IF LSAT improvement and get in to Emory/Vandy, make that call when the time comes. IF no improvement, plan on WF, but also be ready for WL acceptances.

Not sure why WF is ranked 32 but TN is ranked 65 when median salaries are pretty equal. Also not sure how important it is that a school has the environmental component. Lost on what to do.

IamKrisBars

New

Re: Wake vs. Tennessee vs. Tulane

Post by IamKrisBars » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Go to tulane and sacrifice the southeast goal and work in houston... energy capital of the world. if you want an energy job why be anywhere else.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Wake vs. Tennessee vs. Tulane

Post by deadpanic » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:41 pm

None of those at that price tag. 160k for Wake Forest? 6 figures for Tulane? That's not worth it at all.

UT may be okay at 70k, but still seems to be too much for a job likely to start around 40-45k.

Private firm environmental jobs = BigLaw, and none of these schools give you a great chance at that.

You have a great GPA, so I know you won't like this advice, but a retake is in order for your goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”