University of Arizona or Richmond? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Wednesday

New

University of Arizona or Richmond?

Post by Wednesday » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi!
I'm choosing between the University of Arizona and the University of Richmond. Cost of tuition is the same. They are similar in terms of ranking and employment outcomes. Richmond is private, Arizona is public. Spouse works in criminal defense in Idaho, so job availability in Richmond and Tucson is important.
Any advice?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: University of Arizona or Richmond?

Post by deadpanic » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:19 am

I mean, would you and your spouse rather work in Arizona or the Richmond area? That really seems to be the deciding factor here.

Just a hunch, but I would imagine there are more plentiful jobs in AZ with Phoenix. Richmond is a pretty small metro area and DC is highly competitive. Plus, your spouse is already out west, so it is a slightly easier move. I personally wouldn't move across the country for a relatively small old-money city like Richmond without any ties.

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:42 am

That makes sense. There are things we like about living in Arizona, and there are things we like about living in Virginia (family nearby is one of them).

Avaliability of jobs in Richmond is my big concern, as it is indeed smaller. UofA is in Tucson, so he would need to find a job there, but it is still larger than Richmond. The downside of Arizona for us is its climate and the fact that it's far from our families.

Honestly, a pretty taugh decision. Thanks for your input!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:27 am

With the vague info from this post, I imagine it will be really hard for him to get a job in Richmond. It is a really tight-knit, small market that truly cares you are from the area.

harveybirdman101

New

Post by harveybirdman101 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 pm

Wednesday wrote:That makes sense. There are things we like about living in Arizona, and there are things we like about living in Virginia (family nearby is one of them).

Avaliability of jobs in Richmond is my big concern, as it is indeed smaller. UofA is in Tucson, so he would need to find a job there, but it is still larger than Richmond. The downside of Arizona for us is its climate and the fact that it's far from our families.

Very tough decision. The job market is likely much bigger in AZ though. I was told that employment after graduation is just as high or higher in Phoenix than Tuscon as well, so you have some wiggle room in terms of location after graduating. In Phoenix, I think they take the top students from both AZ and ASU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:39 pm

harveybirdman101 wrote:
Wednesday wrote:That makes sense. There are things we like about living in Arizona, and there are things we like about living in Virginia (family nearby is one of them).

Very tough decision. The job market is likely much bigger in AZ though. I was told that employment after graduation is just as high or higher in Phoenix than Tuscon as well, so you have some wiggle room in terms of location after graduating. In Phoenix, I think they take the top students from both AZ and ASU.

Thanks! From what I've found out, Richmond seems a bit more formal (I like that), well-connected and provides with broader opportunities after graduation. Arizona, on the other hand, seems more casual, although they do have some strong post-graduation employment numbers. Arizona's climate is not something I would enjoy, but it is not a deal breaker, either. My biggest concern with Richmond is the very comparative job market, which isn't all that big either.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Wednesday wrote:
harveybirdman101 wrote:

Thanks! From what I've found out, Richmond seems a bit more formal (I like that), well-connected and provides with broader opportunities after graduation. Arizona, on the other hand, seems more casual, although they do have some strong post-graduation employment numbers. Arizona's climate is not something I would enjoy, but it is not a deal breaker, either. My biggest concern with Richmond is the very comparative job market, which isn't all that big either.
A formal or casual environment does not matter at all. If you go on to work in law, you will be wearing a suit/suit-equivalent wherever, pretty much, regardless of your school. What matters is job outcomes and where you want to work.

I would be really cautious about forcing a decision this cycle given the complaints on both schools you have. I would think there are other options out there that will fit you better. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Wednesday

New

Post by Wednesday » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm

deadpanic wrote:
Wednesday wrote:
harveybirdman101 wrote:

A formal or casual environment does not matter at all. If you go on to work in law, you will be wearing a suit/suit-equivalent wherever, pretty much, regardless of your school. What matters is job outcomes and where you want to work.

I would be really cautious about forcing a decision this cycle given the complaints on both schools you have. I would think there are other options out there that will fit you better. Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, I can't be sure that any school/city combination is going to be 100% perfect for my family from the start, but that doesn't mean we won't be able to make it work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”