Georgetown v Texas v UCI v WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
urmlaw17

Bronze

Georgetown v Texas v UCI v WUSTL

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks for the help!
I am from CA and I want to practice in CA. However, ideally I just want to go to the law school that will offer me the best outcome. My stats are 168 LSAT/ 2.9 GPA

I have taken the LSAT 3 times. 160 - 168 -164

The schools I am considering are with COA from LST Report:

Georgetown COA $220,000
Texas COA $160,000
UC Irvine COA $110,00
WUSTL COA $140,000
Loyola COA $120,000
Hastings COA $150,000
U San Diego COA $120,000
U San Francisco COA $90,000 with top 30% stipulation

I am waitlisted at Northwestern, Columbia, Davis, and UCLA.

I will be paying the COA with loans.
I have significant ties in both Northern and Southern California.
I want to go to Big Law or mid law. Just a job that pays well and where I will be able to pay off my loans comfortably.

Should I just go to Georgetown? LIving in DC and being in the center of government is really attractive. But UCI will give me the lowest debt option. What do yall think?

beinghuman

Re: Georgetown v Texas v UCI v WUSTL

Post by beinghuman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Based on the info you provided, I think UC Irvine would make the most sense for you.

Subban_Fan

New

Re: Georgetown v Texas v UCI v WUSTL

Post by Subban_Fan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:12 pm

If it were me, I'd go with UCI because it seems like the lowest cost option. I'm big on minimizing high interest loans though and I don't really take out loans for anything except for real estate. So I'm very conservative financially and more likely use the money I'd save on investments (most law students don't think the way I do). Plus, you have the added bonus of UCI being in a great city and a place you want to work.

You say you want to work at a big or midsize law firm though. So you increases your chances on that gamble at Georgetown or University of Texas. Between those 2, I would choose Texas because it places at those types of firms very well in Texas. There will also be far more competition in D.C. for those jobs, with people coming for other schools. Texans tend to be very loyal to their own schools, from what I've observed. I doubt D.C., a city full of transplants, the people have that same feeling. And UT costs significantly less.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”