Pitt vs. Duquesne

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Pitt vs. Duquesne

Postby runner1414 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

Hello all! I'm deciding between Pitt and Duquesne. I have a $60k scholarship at Pitt and a $114k scholarship at Duquesne. To keep these scholarships, I would need to maintain a 3.0 at Pitt and a 2.0 at Duquesne. I currently work in legal services and would like to work with low-income clients during my career. I estimate that I would leave Pitt with around $85k in debt and $35k in debt at Duquesne.

Any thoughts? Is Pitt substantially a better school than Duquesne? Anyone familiar with the Pittsburgh legal market?

Re: Pitt vs. Duquesne

Postby deadpanic » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm not personally familiar with the Pittsburgh market other than what has been on this forum for many years, but if you want to do pro/low bono stuff and stay in the Pitt area, Duquesne here sounds like the right choice, especially given the stipulations from Pitt. Best of luck.

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 am

Ignoring that these prices for these schools is not worth it, never go to a school with a GPA stipulation. They will section stack and you are likely to lose your scholarship.

Do not accept any scholarship stipulation!

Postby Attrition » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 am

Out of the 2 I'd say duquesne based on the employment numbers. I'd recommend checking out these:

Most people on this site will use large firms and federal clerkships as a proxy for how easy it is to get a job. It's not a bad tool since those are pretty difficult and lots of people want them. Here I think the short term, part time, and unemployed numbers are most important, but maybe consider getting a couple more lsat points and applying to other schools. Like temple, rutgers or drexel?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”