Georgetown (120k) v. UCLA (90k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Eschael

New

Georgetown (120k) v. UCLA (90k)

Post by Eschael » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm currently a fourth-year undergraduate in China, and my GPA/LSAT is 3.85/174 (second take, my first take was 171). Since I'm an international student, I don't really have a firm preference to either west/east coast, but clearly the clerkship/politics option is not viable. I'm not sure how long I'll stay in the U.S., but definitely for at least four or five years after graduating from law school. I spent a year as an exchange student in UC San Diego and I REALLY love that city, especially the weather--I'm from the northern China, but a week in NY's winter really killed me :shock: Yet I like DC pretty much and won't mind spending three years studying there.

Actually, I applied to eleven schools in total (all T15), and got waitlisted in UChicago/Duke/Penn, "Hold" in Columbia. Rejected by Berkeley, btw. Haven't heard back from YHS & NYU yet, but since my application status was completed in last year's December, I guess I do not really stand a chance with them... So would anyone help me choose between GULC and UCLA? Or does anyone think I should wait for the more higher ranked schools :oops:

beinghuman

Re: Georgetown (120k) v. UCLA (90k)

Post by beinghuman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 pm

You should definitely wait to hear from the other schools but between Georgetown and UCLA, I would recommend Georgetown. Unless you really want to be in Southern California after graduation.
One caveat though... If you want to work in the U.S., employer sponsorship might be an issue. My understanding is that your best shot would be large NYC firms. In such case, Georgetown would be a better option...

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:11 pm

You need to review your application carefully. It appears to me that you are significantly under-performing your stats.

Eschael

New

Post by Eschael » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 am

beinghuman wrote:You should definitely wait to hear from the other schools but between Georgetown and UCLA, I would recommend Georgetown. Unless you really want to be in Southern California after graduation.
One caveat though... If you want to work in the U.S., employer sponsorship might be an issue. My understanding is that your best shot would be large NYC firms. In such case, Georgetown would be a better option...
Thanks! Then I'd better be patient for now...

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 am

silenttimer wrote:You need to review your application carefully. It appears to me that you are significantly under-performing your stats.
Its likely because OP is international. T13 schools are hitting international students hard this year because of real issues surrounding whether they will be able to get jobs after graduation. It is a risk to take international kids right now given the administration's position on visas and t13 schools know even 5 students that don't get hired after graduation can have an effect on the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”