Fellow Ohioans, please help me decide... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ronald47

New

Fellow Ohioans, please help me decide...

Post by ronald47 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:29 am

Cincinnati full tuition vs Case Western $44,000/yr ($6,666/yr out of pocket tuition)

Case really has a horrible employment rates (56.6% lst employment score compared to Cincinnati’s 71.2%), but somehow US news ranks Case higher than Cincy. (62 and 72) I also know that Case has a better reputation as an institution as a whole (including undergrad) and has 12th ranked international law program (which I would like to practice).

Are there any Ohioans who could give me some insights? I know this is my second post, but I didn’t really get much out of my last post... Thank you much in advance...

michelleamania

New

Re: Fellow Ohioans, please help me decide...

Post by michelleamania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:13 am

Honestly, it's hard to pass up only paying $6,666/yr for law school considering the state of the market right now. However, I currently live in Cincinnati and am also thinking about attending Cincinnati next year. The school has a very solid reputation in the Cincinnati market. The legal community here is also very welcoming and it is easy to network. I am not sure how portable the degree is, though. I do know many people at the school and they have enjoyed the school and the opportunities it provides. Cincinnati is also a really good option if you want to do any type of public defender/criminal law work. They work with the Ohio Innocence Project, one of the most successful in the country. As far as the rankings go, at 62 and 72 you should not really look at the difference in rankings. There is not that much of a difference between the two to make that a factor in your decision. That being said, the lower cost of Case could allow you to take different jobs upon graduation, especially if you want to stay in the Cleveland area.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 am

ronald47 wrote: and has 12th ranked international law program (which I would like to practice).
What 'exactly,' is the job you want to do there.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:49 pm

ronald47 wrote:Cincinnati full tuition vs Case Western $44,000/yr ($6,666/yr out of pocket tuition)
The difference in LST scores appears to arise from Cinci doing better at placing students in small firms. Neither school is likely to result in a career in "international law".

ronald47

New

Post by ronald47 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

michelleamania wrote:That being said, the lower cost of Case could allow you to take different jobs upon graduation, especially if you want to stay in the Cleveland area.
Sorry I meant Case would cost me $6,666/yr more than Cincinnati, but thanks for your help!

RCSOB657 wrote:What 'exactly,' is the job you want to do there.
albanach wrote:Neither school is likely to result in a career in "international law".
I didn't mean that I want to work as an international attorney.
I want to practice immigration law in the States.. Maybe at a small firm helping people with status issues.

I'm going to visit both schools soon but I think it would still be too difficult to decide.... :(
I personally don't consider the $6,666/yr difference as too much of a burden, but at the same time, I don't want to pay the extra if there's no benefit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Do you speak Spanish?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Or Mandarin for that matter?

ronald47

New

Post by ronald47 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:49 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:Or Mandarin for that matter?
I'm a Korean immigrant.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 pm

You could get a job doing immigration defense at either of those schools. Of you're dead set on public interest work, go to whichever school will give you the classes and most importantly support for work experience and public interest support. Some schools offer their own PLF programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

RCSOB657 wrote:You could get a job doing immigration defense at either of those schools. Of you're dead set on public interest work, go to whichever school will give you the classes and most importantly support for work experience and public interest support. Some schools offer their own PLF programs.
Is there any data on which region has the larger population of Korean immigrants? While not determinative, that could influence the decision.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:00 pm

You could always try to find that on the census website. Then go to that city and Google imigration firms, and see if there is a pattern.

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:49 pm

If you wish to work in southwestern Ohio (i.e., the Cincinnati metro market), then go to UC. If you want to work in northeast Ohio, then go to Case Western. It really is that simple. Congratulations.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Fellow Ohioan (current 1L) who doesn't go to law school in Ohio. Here's what I picked up on from my cycle: UC is a school that is administrative disarray at the moment. While that might not affect the day-to-day for students at UC, it doesn't bode well for the school or for the school's reputation in the Cincinnati area. Case Western is a school that overall has a good reputation, but mostly in the medical/engineering area, not law - that being said, Case Western is a school that is on the rise and is starting to really leverage the benefits of being part of such a strong university system. I would guess that within 5-10 years, Case is going to be a solid T2 option.

I would NOT pay full price to go to Cincinnati (I wouldn't pay full price to go anywhere, tbh). Even though tuition and COL are low in Cincinnati, you'll still be graduating with a pretty significant amount of debt that will take you years to pay off with the type of job you're likely to get. Case Western for only $7k a year isn't bad. But if you really want a degree that carries weight throughout the state (and even in neighboring states), has a little more flexibility in the types of jobs you'll be able to get, and is generally more well-respected, you need to go to Ohio State. If you didn't apply there or get in this cycle, retake and reapply (even though I really hate that piece of advice).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AmbulanceChas3r

New

Post by AmbulanceChas3r » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 am

"specialty rankings" are generally bullshit unless you're #1. especially for fields like "international law". retake the LSAT and go to ohio state.

fiik

New

Post by fiik » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I know nothing about UC, but I do live in NEO and everyone I have ever talked to who went to Case, including family members, hated it. I am sure you have long made your decision by now, but my advice is to visit the campus several times and decide from there.

Also, thanks to the OP for reminding me to at least look at UC! I would so much rather in-state tuition!

coramnonjudice

New

Post by coramnonjudice » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:47 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:If you wish to work in southwestern Ohio (i.e., the Cincinnati metro market), then go to UC. If you want to work in northeast Ohio, then go to Case Western. It really is that simple. Congratulations.
This.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”