UVA vs Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA vs Emory

UVA
76%
Emory
24%

Total votes: 17

asiansplitter

New

UVA vs Emory

Post by asiansplitter » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 am

Hello, fellow TLS users,

I am in a position where I have to choose between UVA(CoA: 240K) and Emory(CoA:120K). I am blessed that my parents are willing to cover the entire cost of living, so I won't have to worry about debt either way.

There is, however, still a financial incentive to choose Emory over UVA, because my folks are going to pay me 240K even if I choose Emory. There is one condition on spending that extra 120K if I go to Emory: I have to use it as a down payment for purchasing a house.

On the other hand, given that I am "biglaw or bust," UVA seems to have a much better job prospect(62% BL) than Emory(26%). I want to end up in Atlanta(ties), but I am open to working in other regions for a couple of years after graduating, and then eventually relocating to Atlanta.

My LSAT/GPA numbers are 173(took it once)/3.1, if they are in any way relevant. I am having a really tough time deciding, and any advice will be very much appreciated! :D Thank you.

drillteam

New

Re: UVA vs Emory

Post by drillteam » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm

UVA gives you the most options but only you and your parents can decide if this will strain their financial position. If it does not, I would spend the incremental $120K on the best law school (UVA) rather than on a generic house. A house can always come later once your career in biglaw is launched--which is far more likely with UVA (which places very well in Atlanta and elsewhere.)

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:54 pm

If your goal is BigLaw, I really don't see this as a contest. UVA is much more likely to result in the outcome you seek.

I think the difference is even more stark than you make out. Most the folk getting Federal Clerkships are going to go on to BigLaw or other prestigious positions. So it's more like 75% of UVA grads ending up where you want to be.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:33 pm

I agree with the previous posts.
I think a 120K are worth it given the opportunities that UVA would offer you over Emory.
Good luck.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

As an Emory grad, I would choose UVA. It’s not really a tough choice given your goals and that you’re going for free.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:15 am

Considering that your career will likely last 40+ years, UVA makes the most sense. Emory's big law stats are atrocious compared to UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”