Regional- Houston Market Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IamKrisBars

New

Regional- Houston Market

Post by IamKrisBars » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm

I want to work in the Houston area. I am from New York. I applied to U Houston on a long shot with two references from academics (one went to Harvard and Hopkins) and an additional recommendation from a President at Exxon Mobile. GPA 2.93 because of a bad year in 2010, Degree GPA 3.93, 7 semesters academic honors, LSAT 156. So this isn't my main question, but given this information, anyone think I have a chance?

Anyway, assuming I don't get in, because it is a LONGSHOT, I wanted to consider two options.

Would it be better to attend the unranked South Texas College of Law in Houston, or, would it be feasible to attend Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge given its fairly close proximity to Houston?

Please Consider:
If I got a Scolarship at STC and not at LSU
and
If I dont get any scolarship money, I have the cash to pay tuition in full set aside so loans are a non-factor.

nealric

Re: Regional- Houston Market

Post by nealric » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:58 am

I hope you didn't write "Exxon Mobile" on your application. There's no "e" at the end. Doubt the recommendation means anything. Law school is 99% a numbers game.

As for school, if your goal is Houston or bust, you are probably better off at South Texas than LSU. You will have more options to network in-town. If you don't get in or don't get money at South Texas, I'd work on your LSAT score. That's what's really holding you back.

IamKrisBars

New

Post by IamKrisBars » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:11 pm

nealric wrote:I hope you didn't write "Exxon Mobile" on your application. There's no "e" at the end. Doubt the recommendation means anything. Law school is 99% a numbers game.

As for school, if your goal is Houston or bust, you are probably better off at South Texas than LSU. You will have more options to network in-town. If you don't get in or don't get money at South Texas, I'd work on your LSAT score. That's what's really holding you back.
Ha, no I did not, it was late when I typed this.

Its not really a houston or bust, ive applied to alot of different schools. Im considering putting a deposit on the best option after I get some letters back.. as of now U baltimore is the only school whos responded with 15k a year and a 10k out of state grant for the first year... not really interested but its a safety net. I would consider taking American, A&M, or Villanova if they take me.

But if I dont get any of those, or some of the better schools I applied to on a super reach, then I will retake in June and depending on the score sit out a year.

What do you think I would want to score to make it worth sitting out for that year and reapplying?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am

IamKrisBars wrote:
nealric wrote:I hope you didn't write "Exxon Mobile" on your application. There's no "e" at the end. Doubt the recommendation means anything. Law school is 99% a numbers game.

Its not really a houston or bust, ive applied to alot of different schools. Im considering putting a deposit on the best option after I get some letters back.. as of now U baltimore is the only school whos responded with 15k a year and a 10k out of state grant for the first year... not really interested but its a safety net. I would consider taking American, A&M, or Villanova if they take me.

But if I dont get any of those, or some of the better schools I applied to on a super reach, then I will retake in June and depending on the score sit out a year.

What do you think I would want to score to make it worth sitting out for that year and reapplying?
I think getting into the 160s would be a game changer. It would either get you into UH or likely significant money at South Texas.

IamKrisBars

New

Post by IamKrisBars » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm

nealric wrote:
IamKrisBars wrote:

I think getting into the 160s would be a game changer. It would either get you into UH or likely significant money at South Texas.
I emailed Houston and asked them to also consider me for their part time program. I informed them that I would prefer the full time program and would be willing to pay sticker if need be, but if not, I would strongly consider the part time program. It has numbers that are more friendly. I spoke to the admissions director and they told me that good academic standing in 1L part time would provide a good chance of transferring to the FT program.

What do you think about this route? I really would rather not sit out a year as my girlfriend is graduating as well and wants to start her career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Is it too late to apply to University of Houston? I'm really super-duper excited about applying there but I see their application deadline was February 15th.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:28 pm

jgloster wrote:Is it too late to apply to University of Houston? I'm really super-duper excited about applying there but I see their application deadline was February 15th.
In general, I think it rarely makes sense to apply to school late even if they allow it. It means most of the scholarship money will already have been awarded and for marginal candidates that they are at the back of the line. Taking a year off isn't the end of the world even if that might feel that way when you are eager to start the next chapter of your life.

IamKrisBars

New

Post by IamKrisBars » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 pm

jgloster wrote:Is it too late to apply to University of Houston? I'm really super-duper excited about applying there but I see their application deadline was February 15th.

I called to ask this specifically because I was worried my transcripts would not be processed through the LSAC in time. The admissions director urged me to apply once LSAC processed everything, even if it was post deadline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”