UC Boulder vs. Wisconsin Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
asap123

New

UC Boulder vs. Wisconsin

Post by asap123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm deciding between UC Boulder and Wisconsin. Both have given substantial scholarship money, so that's not a deciding factor anymore. I think I want to concentrate in Environmental Law, which gives Boulder an edge, but UW is slightly higher in the rankings and seems to a stronger alumni/networking pool. I don't necessarily want to settle longterm in either city but know that job prospects elsewhere may be hard to come by. Any advice or thoughts?

Pomeranian

Bronze

Re: UC Boulder vs. Wisconsin

Post by Pomeranian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Do you want to practice in Colorado (West) or Wisconsin?

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm

asap123 wrote:I'm deciding between UC Boulder and Wisconsin. Both have given substantial scholarship money, so that's not a deciding factor anymore. I think I want to concentrate in Environmental Law, which gives Boulder an edge, but UW is slightly higher in the rankings and seems to a stronger alumni/networking pool. I don't necessarily want to settle longterm in either city but know that job prospects elsewhere may be hard to come by. Any advice or thoughts?
lots of red flags. Don't go to either if you don't want to live in that area long-term. Rankings don't matter when you're talking about state schools like these. You don't concentrate on subject matters in law school and going to any particular school is not going to meaningfully aid your chances of breaking into such areas. I'd rethink a lot of what you're doing here.

Dawg57

Bronze

Post by Dawg57 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Yep, aside from extremely favorable and/or unusual connections and circumstances you arent going to get opportunities outside of the geography of the school you got to - that's just how it is outside the top 15-25 law schools. Even higher-ish ranked state schools like UGA, Alabama, UNC-Chapel Hill, etc. -- aren't going to open doors for you outside their feeder geographic areas that they have relationships with for lining up externships/internships/jobs. SO go where you are going to be ready to invest int he area, and tell employers how and why you want to stay there long term -- because employers wont invest in you if they think you are going to graduate and leave.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
asap123 wrote:I'm deciding between UC Boulder and Wisconsin. Both have given substantial scholarship money, so that's not a deciding factor anymore. I think I want to concentrate in Environmental Law, which gives Boulder an edge, but UW is slightly higher in the rankings and seems to a stronger alumni/networking pool. I don't necessarily want to settle longterm in either city but know that job prospects elsewhere may be hard to come by. Any advice or thoughts?
Rankings don't matter when you're talking about state schools like these.
Seconded. Think about where you want to live. Full stop.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

asap123

New

Post by asap123 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Thanks for the all feedback! Appreciate it. I know you don't actually "concentrate" on any particular area, but if a school offers more clinics, courses, distinguished faculty, summer job/networking ops and even reputation in a particular type of law that interests you, I do see benefit there.

As far as location, I recognize that I will be working in the region of the school I attend for a few years, if not longer, and I do see myself out West more than Midwest. Thanks again!

wisconsinguy

New

Post by wisconsinguy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:52 pm

I worked at the UW Law school as an undergrad for three years and got to connect with a lot of the law students and alumni. UW has strong connections in the upper Midwest, most notably Chicago, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee (obviously). Wisconsin has a really strong national presence. That being said the alumni/networking pool is especially strong in major cities out east like New York and Washington DC, but not as helpful west of the Rockies.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry but I'm not so sure about the strength of UW law presence outside of the midwest... I would strongly encourage OP to re-consider as those two options are fairly risky.
wisconsinguy wrote:I worked at the UW Law school as an undergrad for three years and got to connect with a lot of the law students and alumni. UW has strong connections in the upper Midwest, most notably Chicago, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee (obviously). Wisconsin has a really strong national presence. That being said the alumni/networking pool is especially strong in major cities out east like New York and Washington DC, but not as helpful west of the Rockies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”