Money or rank? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mnlawgirl

New

Money or rank?

Post by mnlawgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello-

I am currently choosing between Mitchell Hamline, University of St. Thomas and the University of Minnesota.

Mitchell Hamline & University of St. Thomas both offered 100% tuition
University of Minnesota offered 18k, current tuition is about 40k

I want to live and work in Minnesota, ideally clerk for a federal judge and then work at a large law firm. My dream in life is to become a judge.

My LSAT was a 161, and my UGPA was a 3.8. I took the LSAT once.

Do I take the money, or go to the school with the higher rank? I want to make sure I am successful in school, unsure how different the atmosphere is in a T1 school vs. T3/T4 but I thrive when I can make great and true connections with professors.

Hand

Gold

Re: Money or rank?

Post by Hand » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:00 pm

money or rank? why not both? you have great choices! (assuming you don't care about employment prospects)

GOOD LUCK FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 pm

UMN grad here - the U is a better bet for your goals. You will still need to be top 25% to have a good shot at a federal clerkship/biglaw job.

mnlawgirl

New

Post by mnlawgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 pm

Hand wrote:money or rank? why not both? you have great choices! (assuming you don't care about employment prospects)

GOOD LUCK FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS
I definitely care about employment prospects!! I think that's probably one of my biggest worries, but so is like 100k in debt.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Consider retaking the LSAT for better options with significant scholarship money.

However, if your dream is to become a local judge (as opposed to federal), then often low ranked law schools can be adequate for securing state court clerkships followed by at least 5 years of small firm practice followed by running for judicial office. But, since you want to clerk for a federal judge & work in the federal system, then Minnesota is the better choice, but you should still retake the LSAT for more money & better school options.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Greenlanpern

New

Post by Greenlanpern » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Retake. DUH! I got a 161 first time around and then incread to 166. Also have 3.8. got 20k at one T6 (need based bc post-WL late in cycle), and 20k off at 2 T14 (merit based bc early in cycle).

I studied for LSAT for 4 years lol, and it paid off, since I outperformed my #s with scholly $.

Barney Fritz

New

Post by Barney Fritz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:43 pm

Greenlanpern wrote:Retake. DUH! I got a 161 first time around and then incread to 166. Also have 3.8. got 20k at one T6 (need based bc post-WL late in cycle), and 20k off at 2 T14 (merit based bc early in cycle).

I studied for LSAT for 4 years lol, and it paid off, since I outperformed my #s with scholly $.
Are we supposed to be impressed

I got a 146 the first time and a 180 the second and I'm going to Yale for free

admin lawyer

New

Post by admin lawyer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:19 pm

No, you want money and good rank. A few of my friends got full rides at top schools and were really happy about it. People who paid full tuition at lower ranked schools were not at happy. However, nobody really regrets ever going to law school because following your dreams is what's most important.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Post by KissMyAxe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm

Barney Fritz wrote:
Greenlanpern wrote:Retake. DUH! I got a 161 first time around and then incread to 166. Also have 3.8. got 20k at one T6 (need based bc post-WL late in cycle), and 20k off at 2 T14 (merit based bc early in cycle).

Stop flaming on the on-topic boards. You literally cannot go to Yale for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mnlawgirl

New

Post by mnlawgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 pm

admin lawyer wrote:No, you want money and good rank. A few of my friends got full rides at top schools and were really happy about it. People who paid full tuition at lower ranked schools were not at happy. However, nobody really regrets ever going to law school because following your dreams is what's most important.
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I think I will go for something in the middle. I am more interested in following my dreams and being a good person than being the person with the best credentials. Maybe that's not the right mindset, but being a good and likable person matters to me. :D

taxman128

New

Post by taxman128 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 pm

I would not recommend the schools profiled above by Law School Transparency. It's pretty obvious why. Good Luck!

Barney Fritz

New

Post by Barney Fritz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:18 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

Aren't you some ginger living in your parents' basement in South Carolina pretending to be a mistaken genius?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:35 pm

I read on another thread that hamline is only good for food law. Is that what you want to study?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm

KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

on-topics don't exist anymore, didn't you get the news?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:47 am

cdotson2 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

This board went to shit like 10 days ago. All the halfway decent poasters have moved to top-law-schools.com

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:42 am

You should never consider money. Always go to highest ranked school because they have better libraries and clinics.

HarrisonBarnes

New

Post by HarrisonBarnes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:42 pm

Minnesota is a great, nationally regarded law school. You should always go to the best law school that you can. If you go here, you will have options to potentially work all over the country--in prestigious employers--when you get out and the other will limit you. Employers assume that most attorneys go to the best law schools they got into. Money is a short-term consideration--the better law school you go to the more money you will generally make and the less the loans you take out will eventually matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSthrowawy2014

New

Post by LSthrowawy2014 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:40 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

Excellent117

Bronze

Post by Excellent117 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:52 pm

[quote="HarrisonBarnes"]Minnesota is a great, nationally regarded law school. You should always go to the best law school that you can. If you go here, you will have options to potentially work all over the country--in prestigious employers--when you get out and the other will limit you. Employers assume that most attorneys go to the best law schools they got into. Money is a short-term consideration--the better law school you go to the more money you will generally make and the less the loans you take out will eventually matter.

I'm sorry, but this is objectively terrible advice which, unfortunately (for whatever reason), seems to have become the norm around here.

The total non-discounted cost of attendance at U of M is roughly $230k. Even with your $18k scholarship (which I'm assuming is per year and has no GPA stipulations attached), you're still looking at nearly $200k in debt before accounting for interest, which will significantly increase the total amount you'll pay over the lifetime of the loan.

That kind of debt load, combined with the career and earnings prospects for the average student graduating from Minnesota, is in no way a "short-term consideration." Instead, you'd be looking at a potentially crippling amount of debt that will follow you for a huge portion of your remaining life.

One more note: a U of M degree isn't at all portable beyond Minneapolis/Minnesota and to suggest otherwise is laughable.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:37 pm

LSthrowawy2014 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
LSthrowawy2014 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
cdotson2 wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Barney Fritz wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:21 pm

HarrisonBarnes wrote:Minnesota is a great, nationally regarded law school. You should always go to the best law school that you can. If you go here, you will have options to potentially work all over the country--in prestigious employers--when you get out and the other will limit you. Employers assume that most attorneys go to the best law schools they got into. Money is a short-term consideration--the better law school you go to the more money you will generally make and the less the loans you take out will eventually matter.
So much no. Minnesota is not even nationally known to have a law school. Cost is always a consideration for the long-term. Go home, you're drunk.

Sinatra

Bronze

Post by Sinatra » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:13 am

Mr. Archer wrote:
HarrisonBarnes wrote:Minnesota is a great, nationally regarded law school. You should always go to the best law school that you can. If you go here, you will have options to potentially work all over the country--in prestigious employers--when you get out and the other will limit you. Employers assume that most attorneys go to the best law schools they got into. Money is a short-term consideration--the better law school you go to the more money you will generally make and the less the loans you take out will eventually matter.
So much no. Minnesota is not even nationally known to have a law school. Cost is always a consideration for the long-term. Go home, you're drunk.
Quit flaming the on topics. Our lord and Savior would not provide false information.

G_willy

New

Post by G_willy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:26 am

Rank

Harnas Barnas

New

Post by Harnas Barnas » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:55 am

Mr. Archer wrote:
So much no. yes!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”