Probability of finding a legal job in Philadelphia after graduating from Penn State University Park or Dickinson Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ronald47

New

Probability of finding a legal job in Philadelphia after graduating from Penn State University Park or Dickinson Law?

Post by ronald47 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:01 pm

I was told that I would most likely be stuck in central PA after graduating from one of these schools, but I really would like to avoid living in a rural area for the rest of my life. I'm a city person. :(
Philadelphia seems to be a great place to live.. Could somebody tell me how likely it would be to land on a job in Philadelphia graduating from PSU or Dickinson?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Probability of finding a legal job in Philadelphia after graduating from Penn State University Park or Dickinson Law

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm

Too much competition from Penn, Temple & Villanova among others. Ask Penn State & Dickinson (I thought that PSU bought Dickinson a few years ago) where the top 10% placed in their most recent classes. Then realize that top 10% is not going to happen for 90% of the class.

ronald47

New

Re: Probability of finding a legal job in Philadelphia after graduating from Penn State University Park or Dickinson Law

Post by ronald47 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm

I see. Thanks..

My situation:
PSU & Dickinon = full tuition scholly (no stipulation)
Temple = will have to pay $14,000 per year (2.5/4.0 GPA stipulation)

Would attending Temple worth the risk?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm

I don't know because I do not know where PSU places its top students. It is very difficult to turn down a full tuition scholarship from a school located in the state where you want to practice.

Consider asking Temple for an increased scholarship based on your full tuition , no stips offer from PSU.

Temple has a strong presence in the Philly legal community.

FlyEaglesFly1701

New

Post by FlyEaglesFly1701 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Temple grad here. I got a scholarship with the stipulation. It was incredibly easy to make grades there if you put in the work.

Plus, you literally can't throw a rock in Philly without hitting a Temple grad. It's worth it. I would choose Temple over Penn State and Villanova in a heart beat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

_lw1234

New

Post by _lw1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:13 pm

FlyEaglesFly1701 wrote:Temple grad here. I got a scholarship with the stipulation. It was incredibly easy to make grades there if you put in the work.
Hey, I'm a 0L very interested in Temple. Is a 2.5 basically good standing? I know this site always says to be wary of stips but its not like this is top 10% or even top 50%.

If you don't mind, could you maybe offer some insights into neighborhoods with an easy commute to campus. I will be relying on public transportation and biking.

Today

New

Post by Today » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 am

ronald47 wrote:I was told that I would most likely be stuck in central PA after graduating from one of these schools, but I really would like to avoid living in a rural area for the rest of my life. I'm a city person. :(
Philadelphia seems to be a great place to live.. Could somebody tell me how likely it would be to land on a job in Philadelphia graduating from PSU or Dickinson?
I'm currently at Temple and chose a full-tuition scholarship here over full-tuition and stipend at Dickinson. There is a lot more opportunity down here and Temple grads do decently well. If you have no interest in working in central PA, don't go to Dickinson or PSU. Dickinson has solid alumni connections in Harrisburg and the school seems to be headed in the right direction after the split from PSU, but you will most likely be stuck in central PA. Anecdotally, I have talked to a number of Dickinson grads that have confirmed the above.

As for the cost at Temple, $14k/year isn't terrible, but try to negotiate it down; Temple has been handing out a lot full scholarships over the past few years. A 2.5 would put you in the bottom 10-15% of the class, so I wouldn't worry about it. I asked them to remove the stipulation, but they refused. I figured I would just drop out if I had less than a 2.5 anyway.

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 am

In short, not likely.
ronald47 wrote:I was told that I would most likely be stuck in central PA after graduating from one of these schools, but I really would like to avoid living in a rural area for the rest of my life. I'm a city person. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Don't do Dickinson. I went there on a full ship + living stipend... ended up taking a leave and going back to my 7-year career as an educator. A month after securing full time employment, Dickinson called the school/my employer and tried to get me fired. Luckily, I'm busting my butt, doing a great job (secured a grant today for curricular materials!), and the school enjoys having me.

I know that this is very anecdotal, BUT do you REALLY want to be part of a school that is that controlling and overstepping boundaries - especially if you have other options? Think about it

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am

bmathers wrote:Don't do Dickinson. I went there on a full ship + living stipend... ended up taking a leave and going back to my 7-year career as an educator. A month after securing full time employment, Dickinson called the school/my employer and tried to get me fired. Luckily, I'm busting my butt, doing a great job (secured a grant today for curricular materials!), and the school enjoys having me.

I know that this is very anecdotal, BUT do you REALLY want to be part of a school that is that controlling and overstepping boundaries - especially if you have other options? Think about it
Glad it worked out for you. I remember several threads where myself and many others tried to talk you out of choosing Dickinson.
Might I ask what straw broke the camel's back?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:00 am

bmathers wrote:Don't do Dickinson. I went there on a full ship + living stipend... ended up taking a leave and going back to my 7-year career as an educator. A month after securing full time employment, Dickinson called the school/my employer and tried to get me fired. Luckily, I'm busting my butt, doing a great job (secured a grant today for curricular materials!), and the school enjoys having me.

Wow how surprising after all of TLS tried to talk you out of going there yet you rationalized your way into a bad decision. Glad its working out now though.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:21 pm

saf18hornet wrote:

Glad it worked out for you. I remember several threads where myself and many others tried to talk you out of choosing Dickinson.
Might I ask what straw broke the camel's back?
Sorry, but I'm done with it and am done talking about or with Dickinson Law. I'll leave it at that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

psu2016

Bronze

Post by psu2016 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:08 pm

You probably have a better shot at Wilmington "biglaw" I know a handful of people who got the big 4 through oci and no one in Philadelphia.

Graduated Carlisle 2016.

Phillyc/o18

New

Post by Phillyc/o18 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:41 am

Graduating from Temple this May, best decision of my life. I rejected full scholarships from other school over Temple. I'm joining a big firm in Philly too. Honestly, like someone else said, if you put in the work (especially your first year), it's not that hard to get the grades. If you want to end up in Philadelphia, you should definitely not choose Penn State or Dickinson.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”