Texas Big Law: Cornell, UT, Northwestern, Mich. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ATXStudent

New

Texas Big Law: Cornell, UT, Northwestern, Mich.

Post by ATXStudent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:04 pm

I have greatly outperformed my numbers. GPA is around 75th at all T-14's I have applied to, LSAT between 25th and median. My goal is to practice in Texas. Dallas, Houston, Austin or SA would all be great.

Right now I have admissions offers from

Cornell
UT
Northwestern
Michigan

(no particular order)

Waiting to hear back from Duke, UVA, Chicago, Stanford and Harvard (some of those are very longshot, but would ride WL at Chi, Stanford and Harvard if given such an opportunity).

Waitlisted at Penn

Here is the even bigger kicker, I've outperformed my numbers but except for the scholarship category. I have received $0 in scholarship from any of my T-14 schools that I have applied to. Its early, and my hope is to get something out of Texas at the least, and hopefully Cornell.

So my question is where would you go, given that you want to practice in Texas?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Texas Big Law: Cornell, UT, Northwestern, Mich.

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 pm

I would retake that lsat to get the money. Its really that simple.

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 pm

ATXStudent wrote:I have greatly outperformed my numbers. GPA is around 75th at all T-14's I have applied to, LSAT between 25th and median. My goal is to practice in Texas. Dallas, Houston, Austin or SA would all be great.

Cornell
UT
Northwestern
Michigan

(no particular order)

Waiting to hear back from Duke, UVA, Chicago, Stanford and Harvard (some of those are very longshot, but would ride WL at Chi, Stanford and Harvard if given such an opportunity).

Waitlisted at Penn

Here is the even bigger kicker, I've outperformed my numbers except for the scholarship category. I have received $0 in scholarship from any of my T-14 schools that I have applied to. Its early, and my hope is to get something out of Texas at the least, and hopefully Cornell.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 pm

ATXStudent wrote:
ATXStudent wrote:I have greatly outperformed my numbers. GPA is around 75th at all T-14's I have applied to, LSAT between 25th and median. My goal is to practice in Texas. Dallas, Houston, Austin or SA would all be great.

Cornell
UT
Northwestern
Michigan

(no particular order)

Waitlisted at Penn

Here is the even bigger kicker, I've outperformed my numbers except for the scholarship category. I have received $0 in scholarship from any of my T-14 schools that I have applied to. Its early, and my hope is to get something out of Texas at the least, and hopefully Cornell.

Sparky is right about retaking. Don’t pay full sticker. It’s not worth it.

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:19 pm

What is the threshold for debt that you would consider reasonable? Absent the free ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

ATXStudent wrote:What is the threshold for debt that you would consider reasonable? Absent the free ride.
Whatever someone with your GPA and an above median LSAT typically gets.

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 pm

First off, congrats, it sounds like you might have a good shot at negotiation.

I don't have any particular wisdom to impart as a fellow 0L but this thread has a similar discussion of how to get back to Texas from the bottom end of the T14 if you haven't already seen it: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=283930

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:24 pm

If you want to practice in Texas did you apply to any other law schools in a Texas? It’s great that you got into Texas Law but if you need scholarships then a lower ranked school in Texas may give you money to lure you away from UT. I’m not sure it’s worth the cost to attend an out of state school to jut end up back in Texas.

If you can afford it, go to Texas Law. I hope that they offer you something to make it feasible.

Are you a Texas resident and have family ties? Is that why you want to practice in the state?

Do you mind giving us your GPA and LSAT numbers? I also hope to apply to Texas Law one day. I’m also from Texas and in fact I am from Austin and love the place.

ATXStudent

New

Post by ATXStudent » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 am

goingnutslawschool wrote:If you want to practice in Texas did you apply to any other law schools in a Texas? It’s great that you got into Texas Law but if you need scholarships then a lower ranked school in Texas may give you money to lure you away from UT. I’m not sure it’s worth the cost to attend an out of state school to jut end up back in Texas.

If you can afford it, go to Texas Law. I hope that they offer you something to make it feasible.

Are you a Texas resident and have family ties? Is that why you want to practice in the state?

Do you mind giving us your GPA and LSAT numbers? I also hope to apply to Texas Law one day. I’m also from Texas and in fact I am from Austin and love the place.
In LSAT I am closer to Texas median than 25th. GPA I believe I am right at or above 75th.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 am

You should consider a retake. Just a little bit to get 167+, and even at 167 with your gpa you can hit a home run somewhere like Cornell

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”