UM or FIU Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Tamargo

New

UM or FIU Law

Post by Tamargo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:16 pm

I’m having trouble deciding which school to go to. FIU is offering me a full scholarship with stipulations that I must be in the top 50% of the class or maintain a 2.7 GPA. UM is offering me 81% (40k out of 49k) and I have to maintain a 2.5 GPA. I am not considering any other schools. Is UM still considered better than FIU? Nowadays what school has a better reputation in Miami? Thank you.

Bronze

Re: UM or FIU Law

Post by 38981928 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Tamargo wrote:I’m having trouble deciding which school to go to. FIU is offering me a full scholarship with stipulations that I must be in the top 50% of the class or maintain a 2.7 GPA. UM is offering me 81% (40k out of 49k) and I have to maintain a 2.5 GPA. I am not considering any other schools. Is UM still considered better than FIU? Nowadays what school has a better reputation in Miami? Thank you.
If these are your only two options and you're fine with the prospect of staying in Miami/South Florida, then UM. UM has a stronger alumni network and a better reputation. I think FIU has higher bar passage rates, but in terms of quality of jobs, UM will put you in a better position among employers. That said, UM is not a great school, so you still need to work really hard to get good grades and maximize the networking opportunities UM has to offer in order to have the best possible job outcomes. A family friend of mine managed to get a SCOTUS clerkship a few years ago, and several of my friends in recent years have successfully managed to get good legal gigs locally (but of course don't expect NYC biglaw). PM me for more details.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 pm

Do not take a conditional scholarship anywhere.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Last edited by mcmand on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 am

mcmand wrote:Don't do conditional scholarships. They will put you in a section with everyone else who has a conditional scholarship. The curve will result in half of you losing your scholarship, and with you potentially getting very crummy grades.

It's not worth it.
Are you referring to the class rank FIU requirement, or the GPA minimum, or both? I assumed the GPA minimums stated above are basically the minimums to remain in good academic standing. I know the scholarship stipulations requiring you to stay at a certain class rank are bad, but doesn't every scholarship in general require people to stay in good academic standing (around 2.x)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”