UCI v. Fordham Goal: Visa Sponsorship Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Re: UCI v. Fordham Goal: Visa Sponsorship

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:50 am

daiff wrote:I just re-check the ABA report and Fordham has about a quarter to a third graduates in 500+ firms, most of which are in NYC. This really doesn't look that bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just keep that positive attitude, and nothing will be able to bring you down!

(Disclaimer: reality will likely bring you down.)

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am

daiff wrote:
snarfing wrote:how much money did you get exactly? and what was your lsat, thats the biggest indicator of how well you'll do. Have you taken the GRE? many students find it easier. Fordham puts 40% of students at big law +fed clerkships so its not such a shot in the dark, but it will be more difficult because you need sponsorship

I just re-check the ABA report and Fordham has about a quarter to a third graduates in 500+ firms, most of which are in NYC. This really doesn't look that bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you add federal clerkships, Fordham places 42% of their grads into biglaw or fed clerkships.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:10 am

goldenbear2020 wrote:If you add federal clerkships, Fordham placesplaced 42% of their grads into biglaw or fed clerkships last year, but historically, they've placed 25-35% in those jobs.
Fixed.

snarfing

New

Post by snarfing » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm

daiff wrote:
snarfing wrote:how much money did you get exactly? and what was your lsat, thats the biggest indicator of how well you'll do. Have you taken the GRE? many students find it easier. Fordham puts 40% of students at big law +fed clerkships so its not such a shot in the dark, but it will be more difficult because you need sponsorship

I just re-check the ABA report and Fordham has about a quarter to a third graduates in 500+ firms, most of which are in NYC. This really doesn't look that bad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its not bad but you should assume you'll be median in law school, not in the top 3rd. You shouldnt bank on a top 3rd. If you had scored a 175 Id say yeah maybe think top 3rd, (since again lsat is the biggest indicator of law school performance).

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:37 am

You are unlikely to land a job in a firm that would sponsor your visa, coming out from these schools.

Keep in mind also that taking the LSAT too many times is something you'd need to explain in your application, especially if you're aiming for top schools.

Where are you from, by the way?

daiff wrote:Admitted in both UCI and Fordham with comparable $, and these two are likely to be my top choices despite still waiting for a few. Others are UC Davis and UC Hastings with $. [Update: Forgot to mention waitlisted at Boston U and U of Washington]

My goal is to land a job in private firm that will sponsor my H1B work visa. I personally don't care if its big law or small law, but, given the situation that only big laws are likely to sponsor and NY market has the most openings for internationals, it seems NY big laws are the mostly likely place for international students to get the visa. So does Fordham seems to be a better option?

UCI Obviously has better ranking, but so far its been regional school. Both SoCal and Bay Area seems to have far fewer recruitments every year, not to mention sponsoring visa. (I'd be happy to see if anyone can help with more info) Another issue being UCI's ranking and alumni. It seems UCI is predicted to rise in future, but the question is how high it will rise in say 3 years, and would its alumni network help me find a job in west coast.

In addition, I had my undergraduate Socal and have relatives here; it would be a big step for me to move to NY.

With all that said, I understand the odds for international students to get sponsored and eventually get a visa is extremely low, and some of you might suggest retake to get in better schools. But retake won't be an option for me. I have to make a decision between these two schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”