ND or UC Irvine or BC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

ND or UC Irvine or BC

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:35 pm

I have ties to CA, especially big firms in SF and would eventually like to end up in California, doing Biglaw (in transactional or IP/trademark ).
Just don't know if it's worth the risk of moving out to Indiana for 3 years, if I already know I want to end up in California. But ND is such a good school compare to Irvine and BC...that I am just conflicted.

*just asking purely for school choices, I can always work out financials with parentals and such, so that's not a burden over my head*

secondand3rd

New

Re: ND or UC Irvine or BC

Post by secondand3rd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:08 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:I have ties to CA, especially big firms in SF and would eventually like to end up in California, doing Biglaw (in transactional or IP/trademark ).
Just don't know if it's worth the risk of moving out to Indiana for 3 years, if I already know I want to end up in California. But ND is such a good school compare to Irvine and BC...that I am just conflicted.

*just asking purely for school choices, I can always work out financials with parentals and such, so that's not a burden over my head*
If your goal is to work in California, then I think you already know the answer between those three choices (Irvine). "Ties" can be helpful, but they are far from a guarantee.

On a side note, I don't know if I agree that "ND is such a good school compare to Irvine and BC". Depending on your geographic goals, ND and BC are about equal.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:14 pm

UC Irvine. ND and BC make zero sense for your goals. I can kinda see the argument for ND because it has a chunk of students come to California, but we have no factual information about which jobs those students are getting.

If you are wanting to be in CA, you should physically be in CA. If grades don't go the way you want (they often don't), and you find yourself relying on networking to find summer jobs and post-grad employment, it's a lot easier being close to your destination market.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolgirl312

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgirl312 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:14 pm

ah, okay thank you for all of your input on this!! I think also Irvine.. I think the rankings are just getting into my head

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:21 pm

lawschoolgirl312 wrote:ah, okay thank you for all of your input on this!! I think also Irvine.. I think the rankings are just getting into my head
It's a good school. Unless you felt absolutely terrible on your visit or had a really horrible experience, it makes sense for your goals.

Rankings have a way of distorting things. Just keep remembering what you're trying to accomplish by going to law school.
Last edited by mcmand on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm

BC and ND make almost no sense if you want to big in CA biglaw. Neither one will place significantly in the state, so of the three Irvine is logical.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 pm

I mean, Irvine isn't crazy-logical if you're gunning for biglaw either. It's not bad, but there are better options for California biglaw, and since that's your only stated goal...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”