What're the odds of getting a Boston-based Public Interest job coming from UConn? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Micky_Maus

New

What're the odds of getting a Boston-based Public Interest job coming from UConn?

Post by Micky_Maus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 pm

My goal is to work in Boston as a public interest lawyer (or in state gov't if the job is child advocacy based, which is what I'm hoping to focus on). I've been accepted to both UConn and Northeastern.

At UConn, due to in-state tuition, a substantial financial package, and a good deal on rent from some friends in West Hartford, my CoA would a basically be 0. I'd leave law school debt free, at the very least. But I don't want to end up in CT.

At Northeastern, my financial package is about 30k, and I'd have to find a place to live. Obviously as a Boston-based school it's easier to get a job in Boston coming from there.

...but I'm wondering if it's not worth going to UConn for (essentially) free, working my ass off, and hoping I can break into the market. Is this reasonable? Any knowledge of what UConn's alumni network is like in Boston? Any pull whatsoever?

edit: my uncle went to school at BC and my finacé's mother is a paralegal in Boston. I have a few ties through them, but nothing public interest related. I'm more curious/worried about the reach of a UConn law degree in Boston vs. one from NUSL.
Last edited by Micky_Maus on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: What're the odds of getting a Boston-based Public Interest job coming from UConn?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:41 pm

It looks like UConn does feed a not-insignificant number of its graduates into Massachusetts each year, but it'll be more difficult to get there if you don't have ties.

If your goal is to work in Boston PI, BU or BC is a much better bet. What are your current numbers?

Micky_Maus

New

Re: What're the odds of getting a Boston-based Public Interest job coming from UConn?

Post by Micky_Maus » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:52 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:It looks like UConn does feed a not-insignificant number of its graduates into Massachusetts each year, but it'll be more difficult to get there if you don't have ties.

If your goal is to work in Boston PI, BU or BC is a much better bet. What are your current numbers?
161 LSAT and 3.6 GPA - not great. BC is on the table, maybe, but I doubt with any significant scholarship money. BU is likely a bit out of reach. I've considered retaking next cycle, but the delay would cause some major headaches in terms of housing, employment, etc.

I stupidly forgot to mention that I have a few contacts in Boston. My uncle went to BC (insurance law, but still), and my fiancé's mom is a paralegal. But nothing concrete as-of-yet, and nothing really related to public interest. But it's better than nothing.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 am

Micky_Maus wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:It looks like UConn does feed a not-insignificant number of its graduates into Massachusetts each year, but it'll be more difficult to get there if you don't have ties.

161 LSAT and 3.6 GPA - not great. BC is on the table, maybe, but I doubt with any significant scholarship money. BU is likely a bit out of reach. I've considered retaking next cycle, but the delay would cause some major headaches in terms of housing, employment, etc.

I stupidly forgot to mention that I have a few contacts in Boston. My uncle went to BC (insurance law, but still), and my fiancé's mom is a paralegal. But nothing concrete as-of-yet, and nothing really related to public interest. But it's better than nothing.
I'd focus on retaking at the moment. You should be gunning for BU/BC, and bumping up that LSAT can put both of those schools in contention.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”