Is UMiami worth it with full ride? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jniw16

New

Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Post by jniw16 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

UM gave me a full scholarship and my family lives in the area so living expenses shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned with whether or not it's worth my time? I do not want to waste 3 years of my time and then not get a job. I can see myself working for the government or a mid/big firm. Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term and I have heard that UM is a very regional school.

The next best offer is from W&M, where I would have to take out about $52k for tuition and such (not including living expenses). Seriously considering this.

I was hoping any UM/other law students out there would share their opinion as to if the school is worth it in terms of getting a legal education and finding a job.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Is UMiami worth it with full ride?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Don't go to Miami if you don't want to practice in South Florida. It's a marginal option when you do.

None of your other options currently are good for your goals.*

*Edit/caveat: if you mean state and local government, this isn't true. If you're imagining federal government jobs, it stands.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:53 pm

jniw16 wrote:I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

UM gave me a full scholarship and my family lives in the area so living expenses shouldn't be an issue. I am more concerned with whether or not it's worth my time? I do not want to waste 3 years of my time and then not get a job. I can see myself working for the government or a mid/big firm. Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term and I have heard that UM is a very regional school.

The next best offer is from W&M, where I would have to take out about $52k for tuition and such (not including living expenses). Seriously considering this.

I was hoping any UM/other law students out there would share their opinion as to if the school is worth it in terms of getting a legal education and finding a job.
Would you be okay with WM's median employment outcome?

jniw16

New

Post by jniw16 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 am

Dcc617 wrote:
jniw16 wrote:I am currently waiting for several decisions to come back and I have already been accepted to W&L, W&M, Wake Forest, and University of Miami.

Would you be okay with WM's median employment outcome?
Yeah. Looking at their employment data, most students end up in law firms and government jobs. They sent me a break down of firms and government departments and it looks good. It's not my first choice law school but I think its my best offer.

fonzeee

New

Post by fonzeee » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:19 pm

**know-nothing 0L disclaimer**

If this is true...
jniw16 wrote: Also, I want to move out of Miami ASAP. I do not see myself staying in South Florida long term
You probably shouldn't go there IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 pm

Piling on with the "don't go to UM if you don't want to live in Miami long-term" crowd. Also, don't go to another non-t13 school if you aren't okay with working in the geographic vicinity that they are in.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I have friends that have gone to UM law (and my old neighbor is a prof),and all of them have told me you have to be SURE you want to practice in Miami. If you're ok with state/local government or a small firm AND want to live in Miami then UM with a full ride could be a fantastic option. If you want to work at a big firm or clerk for a federal judge look elsewhere because there's an 85% chance you won't be in the top 15%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”