Has anyone here applied ED to Northwestern? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prospectivelawyer82

New

Has anyone here applied ED to Northwestern?

Post by prospectivelawyer82 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm going to be applying next cycle and I'm considering applying ED to Northwestern. I like Chicago a lot and have family out there, so I think I would be pretty happy going there. It's not my top choice on its own, but with the guaranteed $150k that comes with ED acceptance, I think it would be.

I have a couple questions for people who have applied/been accepted through ED at Northwestern before. How did you decide to apply to NU early decision? Are you happy you did, or did you regret the choice to apply to a school in a binding fashion?

ruthenium44

New

Re: Has anyone here applied ED to Northwestern?

Post by ruthenium44 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:14 pm

I did and was accepted this cycle. Main consideration for me was financial as I am very debt-averse and the thought of potentially having over 100k in debt was terrifying (to say nothing of sticker price). I also vastly prefer Chicago to New York or California just in terms of COL, and have work experience and family ties here. I'm absolutely thrilled to be going to NU and have zero regrets even though I was accepted to other T-14s.

LordTyrion

New

Re: Has anyone here applied ED to Northwestern?

Post by LordTyrion » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 pm

I also applied ED and was accepted this cycle. I am from Chicago’s suburbs and have lived and worked in the city for the past few years. Because of this, it was one of my top choices even outside of the 150k. But the 150k made the decision a no brainer. It’s an 80% scholarship that will drastically reduce your debt load after law school, which means you have more options. And more options means more freedom to do what you want. I understand the appeal of going to a place like Columbia, UChicago, or even Harvard, but unless you can get substantial dollars from those places, it makes no sense to pass on the opportunity at Northwestern.

All that said, you should research on here and lawschoolnumbers to see what kind of cash people with your lsat/gpa are getting at other schools. Who knows you may get more/comparable money at another T14 if your application is strong enough.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”