PENN v UVA (In-State) v MINN$$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wwxenad

New

PENN v UVA (In-State) v MINN$$$

Post by wwxenad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Any guidance on helping me choose a law school would be GREATLY appreciated!

Background: Recent college grad that is in my late 20s (worked after high school so I could afford to go to college). Parents were military; Minnesota is basically home, but Virginia is where I currently live. Splitter stats, so retaking the LSAT wouldn't help. I am also gay.

The offers I'm struggling to choose between:
-Penn with no money at all.
-UVA, also with no money, but slightly lower in-state tuition.
-Minnesota with $90,000 total over 3 years

I would really like to work in the government, possibly PI, after law school. I'm also very interested in clerking as well.

UVA has always been one of my top choices, and I was beyond overjoyed when I was accepted. I currently live in NOVA, and I know that UVA has a great reputation, especially here in DC, and I know several people who went to UVA that currently work in the government. Having grown up in rural and conservative areas though, moving back to a small town, especially after the recent protests and riots, is starting to be less and less appealing. DC has been great, I'm finally living in a place where there are more than 10 gay people in a 50 mile radius. I know it sounds silly, but actually being able to date/meet up with other LGBT folks has dramatically made my life better. I know that Charlottesville itself is liberal, but being smaller and surrounded by very conservative folks makes me anxious as to whether I would enjoy the environment.

After I visited Penn and Philadelphia, I loved the area and I especially loved the LGBT group at the law school. It seems like they're very involved, and the group itself seems very supportive. My biggest concern about Penn though is the debt and job prospects. Because I'll be paying for law school without any help, taking out loans for a much higher COL and slightly higher tuition makes me nervous. I also know that Penn and UVA are peers, but it seems as though UVA has a slight edge with DC, clerking, and government connections.

The last choice is Minnesota, with around $90,000 in total for 3 years. I have family in the area, and I enjoy Minneapolis. The LGBT scene is awesome, and I even enjoy the winters. But being much lower ranked than UVA or Penn, it seems as though their job prospects are pretty much limited to Minneapolis/Minnesota. The law school also wasn't as impressive as UVA/Penn, and while I could spend three years there, compared to the feeling when I visited UVA and Penn, I just wouldn't enjoy the school as much. The money is a big draw though. I wouldn't be against working in state or local government, and with the lower debt load, I could look at PI jobs that I may not consider if I went to UVA/Penn.

HELPPPPPPP

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: PENN v UVA (In-State) v MINN$$$

Post by sparkytrainer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't know where you get the perception as a splitter a retake won't help. That is factually wrong. As a splitter, if you can increase your LSAT, you have a higher chance of acceptances and scholarship money.

A personal anecdote. I was a splitter, rejected by the t13 I currently attend. That same application cycle, I retook, got a handful more points on the lsat, now I attend this t13 with them paying for my legal education. So to say a retake doesn't matter is a bold-faced lie. And it's not just me, the weight of the data shows this over and over.

Congrats on your acceptances, but retake for more money.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Agree with Sparky. I would retake in February at the very least so you might be able to squeeze some more scholarship money out of t13 schools. It is still way too early and I would go ask Penn and UVA for money now before you even retake.

With that said, I would probably go with UVA right now since it is slightly cheaper. I would only go with UMN if you would be content with staying in MN for the long term and also got them to give you a little more money.

sharris2017

New

Post by sharris2017 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:33 pm

wwxenad wrote:Any guidance on helping me choose a law school would be GREATLY appreciated!

Background: Recent college grad that is in my late 20s (worked after high school so I could afford to go to college). Parents were military; Minnesota is basically home, but Virginia is where I currently live. Splitter stats, so retaking the LSAT wouldn't help. I am also gay.

I would really like to work in the government, possibly PI, after law school. I'm also very interested in clerking as well.

UVA has always been one of my top choices, and I was beyond overjoyed when I was accepted. I currently live in NOVA, and I know that UVA has a great reputation, especially here in DC, and I know several people who went to UVA that currently work in the government. Having grown up in rural and conservative areas though, moving back to a small town, especially after the recent protests and riots, is starting to be less and less appealing. DC has been great, I'm finally living in a place where there are more than 10 gay people in a 50 mile radius. I know it sounds silly, but actually being able to date/meet up with other LGBT folks has dramatically made my life better. I know that Charlottesville itself is liberal, but being smaller and surrounded by very conservative folks makes me anxious as to whether I would enjoy the environment.

After I visited Penn and Philadelphia, I loved the area and I especially loved the LGBT group at the law school. It seems like they're very involved, and the group itself seems very supportive. My biggest concern about Penn though is the debt and job prospects. Because I'll be paying for law school without any help, taking out loans for a much higher COL and slightly higher tuition makes me nervous. I also know that Penn and UVA are peers, but it seems as though UVA has a slight edge with DC, clerking, and government connections.

The last choice is Minnesota, with around $90,000 in total for 3 years. I have family in the area, and I enjoy Minneapolis. The LGBT scene is awesome, and I even enjoy the winters. But being much lower ranked than UVA or Penn, it seems as though their job prospects are pretty much limited to Minneapolis/Minnesota. The law school also wasn't as impressive as UVA/Penn, and while I could spend three years there, compared to the feeling when I visited UVA and Penn, I just wouldn't enjoy the school as much. The money is a big draw though. I wouldn't be against working in state or local government, and with the lower debt load, I could look at PI jobs that I may not consider if I went to UVA/Penn.

HELPPPPPPP
How have you been accepted at Penn? Haven't they not sent out any acceptances?

da.goat

New

Post by da.goat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:42 pm

sharris2017 wrote:
wwxenad wrote:Any guidance on helping me choose a law school would be GREATLY appreciated!

HELPPPPPPP
How have you been accepted at Penn? Haven't they not sent out any acceptances?
Also confused about how you KNOW you didn't get money at Penn. They don't do scholarships until ~februaryish

But I echo the retake option. I retook and got 50k more at Penn than they originally offered. (During the same cycle)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:59 pm

if gpa is below 25 and LSAT is above 75, take UVa.

wwxenad

New

Post by wwxenad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you all for your advice so far!

You're right about Penn not admitting me :cry: I applied to do dual degrees, and it was the admissions committee for the second program. They contacted me yesterday, and I was basically happy crying into the phone, and then spent all night worrying about my future choices. They sent me an e-mail today with follow up information, and that's when I realized my mistake. I am happy to hear that if I do get accepted that scholarship money won't come out til much later. I just assumed that since Minnesota sent me information very quickly, and Virginia didn't, that Virginia/Penn weren't offering me any money.

It's crazy to read through other people going through the admissions process, and think, "Why are they so stressed about this?" and now understanding EXACTLY why they're so stressed. I just want it to be August, sitting at some school's Orientation.

champloo

Bronze

Post by champloo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Retakes dont normally help for extreme splitters. Whatre your exact numbes?

wwxenad

New

Post by wwxenad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:34 pm

GPA is around 3.2 and my LSAT is in the mid 170s.

dianersg

New

Post by dianersg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:54 pm

Just wanted to assuage your concerns about UVA and conservatism. I am a 1L at UVA and was slightly worried about its reputation as a a more conservative school, but I have not found it to be an issue at all. While a good proportion of my classmates are in Fed Soc, I think there is a healthy diversity of political thought. Two of my professors are conservative and two are liberal, but all are extremely welcoming of different ideas. My perception is also that we have a very strong gay community and I have never heard of or experienced anyone being openly anti-gay. In fact, a guy in my section got engaged to his boyfriend the other day and everyone was super excited for them. Also, just note in regard to the riots that almost all of the protesters were from out of town and most of the counter-protesters were from Cville. Like you said, Cville seems to be overwhelmingly liberal and open to diversity. Good luck with making your decision and feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about UVA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”