UVA vs UT vs others for Texas Biglaw Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Re: UVA vs UT vs others for Texas Biglaw

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:
principalagent wrote:Not to hi-jack this conversation again, but for someone else who wants 1) to clerk and 2) to go into litigation in Texas, does a Dillard change the calculus? Charlottesville is also a little cheaper than Austin (on the whole), so is there any significant networking advantage gained by going to UT versus a better clerkship rate and other potential intangibles offered by UVA? Financial aid at UT is also pending in my case, and I’m also not averse to starting off in a different market, then lateraling back, but Texas is the goal.
Dillard at UVA and it's not even close
I agree with this—full scholarship at a higher-ranked school is a game changer. Take it.

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:04 pm

principalagent wrote:Not to hi-jack this conversation again, but for someone else who wants 1) to clerk and 2) to go into litigation in Texas, does a Dillard change the calculus? Charlottesville is also a little cheaper than Austin (on the whole), so is there any significant networking advantage gained by going to UT versus a better clerkship rate and other potential intangibles offered by UVA? Financial aid at UT is also pending in my case, and I’m also not averse to starting off in a different market, then lateraling back, but Texas is the goal.
Hi-jack away! I have to agree that your Dillard is an INCREDIBLE outcome, and I think the fact that you aren't as "Texas or Bust" as I am makes a bit more of a case for UVA. I personally just want to go to Houston ASAP to work near family (maybe with? That is still pending:p), and so it's a lot easier for me to feel that UT is a more wise decision. But regardless of what you choose, I'm sure you're going to kill it out there!

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 pm

I have updated my post, and would appreciate any further advice/thoughts!
Last edited by dallinpackard on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

dallinpackard wrote:I have updated my post, and would appreciate any further advice/thoughts!
right now, UVA. if Duke matches, choose the one you like better between Duke/UVA.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:51 pm

dallinpackard wrote:I have updated my post, and would appreciate any further advice/thoughts!
My experience is that UT is eager to match or beat other schools. They may well up you to close to a full ride.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 pm

BlackAndOrange84 wrote:
My experience is that UT is eager to match or beat other schools. They may well up you to close to a full ride.
I certainly hope so! But I've also heard exactly the opposite... I'll just have to see what happens!

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Updated information with Michigan's offer! Would Michigan make it hard to get back to Texas, given my strong Texas ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”