$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RobinLeHood13

New

$$

Post by RobinLeHood13 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:22 pm

want to Big law$$
Last edited by RobinLeHood13 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Wustl$$ v GW$$ v UMD $$$

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Where do you want to work? Total COA at each school? GPA/LSAT?

Short/generic answer: biglaw is a bit of a stretch from WashU, more of a stretch from GW, and just ain't happening at Maryland.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Where do you want to work? Total COA at each school? GPA/LSAT?

Short/generic answer: biglaw is a bit of a stretch from WashU, more of a stretch from GW, and just ain't happening at Maryland.
Very Anecdotal but I work as a paralegal in DC Big Law and we have plenty of grads from GW and two from Maryland, none from WUSTL but that's due to location and the fact that my firm is somewhat conservative. It's definitely a long shot and they had to work for it but location does help and GW is a 10 minute walk away from many of the Big Law Firms so they have more access and flexibility in networking. Many of the Adjunct Professors are also Big Law Partners who teach for fun. Summary - It's not impossible but it takes a self-starter and you must be a high performer in law school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:55 pm

TLS wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Where do you want to work? Total COA at each school? GPA/LSAT?

Very Anecdotal but I work as a paralegal in DC Big Law and we have plenty of grads from GW and two from Maryland, none from WUSTL but that's due to location and the fact that my firm is somewhat conservative. It's definitely a long shot and they had to work for it but location does help and GW is a 10 minute walk away from many of the Big Law Firms so they have more access and flexibility in networking. Many of the Adjunct Professors are also Big Law Partners who teach for fun. Summary - It's not impossible but it takes a self-starter and you must be a high performer in law school.
Well, yeah, that's extremely anecdotal. The numbers also don't bear that out. Less than 10% of Maryland grads get biglaw, while around 30% of GW and 40% of WashU grads get it. For DC placement, GW probably does better than other similarly ranked schools, but unless the OP is gunning for DC, that's a moot point.

And yes, a "high performer" in law school will always have good options. The trouble is that someone has to perform much better at Maryland than at WashU to have the same opportunities, and both of them have to perform significantly better than a T13 student. And this is ignoring that some of the more competitive firms won't even interview candidates from GW, let alone Maryland.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:20 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS wrote:

Well, yeah, that's extremely anecdotal. The numbers also don't bear that out. Less than 10% of Maryland grads get biglaw, while around 30% of GW and 40% of WashU grads get it. For DC placement, GW probably does better than other similarly ranked schools, but unless the OP is gunning for DC, that's a moot point.

And yes, a "high performer" in law school will always have good options. The trouble is that someone has to perform much better at Maryland than at WashU to have the same opportunities, and both of them have to perform significantly better than a T13 student. And this is ignoring that some of the more competitive firms won't even interview candidates from GW, let alone Maryland.
1) That would be precisely why I noted it as anecdotal. Just trying to provide an additional prospective. 2) Only they know, but if they have UMD on their list I'd be pretty surprised if they aren't at least considering DC Big Law, considering it's a State school outside of the T-14. And if they happen to be from the area they may have a set of connections or even develop said connections during their time at school.

I'm not discounting your advice. Just adding a little bit of positivity, they've got options. It just seems like they may be debt adverse if they're even asking this question in the first place. So recognizing that that may be a huge concern, I'm simply stating that there may be opportunity for a balance between the $$$ and placement, just pointing out that they'd have to work incredibly hard to insure the outcomes post-graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:31 pm

TLS wrote:I'm not discounting your advice. Just adding a little bit of positivity, they've got options. It just seems like they may be debt adverse if they're even asking this question in the first place. So recognizing that that may be a huge concern, I'm simply stating that there may be opportunity for a balance between the $$$ and placement, just pointing out that they'd have to work incredibly hard to insure the outcomes post-graduation.
Right. And I'm pointing out that this brand of "positivity" can be particularly dangerous when you start selling 0Ls on the idea that hard work and gumption will get them a decent shot at biglaw from a school like UMD. Striking a balance between cost and placement is important, but you also need to strike a balance between career goals and reality.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS wrote:I'm not discounting your advice. Just adding a little bit of positivity, they've got options. It just seems like they may be debt adverse if they're even asking this question in the first place. So recognizing that that may be a huge concern, I'm simply stating that there may be opportunity for a balance between the $$$ and placement, just pointing out that they'd have to work incredibly hard to insure the outcomes post-graduation.
Right. And I'm pointing out that this brand of "positivity" can be particularly dangerous when you start selling 0Ls on the idea that hard work and gumption will get them a decent shot at biglaw from a school like UMD. Striking a balance between cost and placement is important, but you also need to strike a balance between career goals and reality.

Woah, now I'm not saying UMD is going to magically get you any offer. I was focusing more on GW as a balance between WUSTL if money is a concern, and UMD with placement as a concern.

Jack_Kelly

Silver

Post by Jack_Kelly » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:02 pm

If the amount of money from WUSTL and GWU is actually similar, St. Louis is a hell of a lot cheaper than DC and it's probably the better school anyway.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Jack_Kelly wrote:If the amount of money from WUSTL and GWU is actually similar, St. Louis is a hell of a lot cheaper than DC and it's probably the better school anyway.
The inclusion of UMD is what makes this less obvious though as it indicates a possible location preference. OP needs to chime in about location goals because GWU is better than WUSTL for DC, while WUSTL is the clear favorite for most other locations, especially midwest, out of these 3 options

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:54 am

RobinLeHood13 wrote:want to Big law if possible. WUSTL $$, GW $$, Or UMD $$$
Any reason why you’re not making it into the t14?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:40 pm

barkschool wrote:
RobinLeHood13 wrote:want to Big law if possible. WUSTL $$, GW $$, Or UMD $$$
Any reason why you’re not making it into the t14?
Sub-3.0 GPA and a 167-169 LSAT can get pretty good money at WUSTL/GW while also getting boxed completely out of the T14. I'd guess OP has numbers like that.

http://mylsn.info/3lgshl/

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 pm

OP said "biglaw if possible," so I don't think he's DC or bust, which means WUSTL. Outside of DC, WUSTL definitely places better than GW given the same grades/rank at either school.

Also, since St. Louis is way cheaper than DC, your total cost is gonna be a significantly lower at WUSTL over 3 years.

OP probably applied to Maryland as well because he/she lives in DC or in the area. If OP can live at home, then the cost calculus changes. I still think biglaw odds are better at WUSTL for any non-DC office.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:03 am

OP, unless you are dead set on DC, I think you ought to go to Wash. U. And if these are your options and you want Big Law, you probably shouldn't be dead set on DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”