Emory vs. UGA to practice in Atlanta Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
seanbodonovan

New

Emory vs. UGA to practice in Atlanta

Post by seanbodonovan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:33 am

I've already been accepted at UGA with a very generous scholarship. I am confident that I will get in to Emory with my numbers (3.36/166), but I will obviously end up paying significantly more. My question is how much more valuable is a degree from Emory if I am going to stay in Atlanta?

cavalier1138

Re: Emory vs. UGA to practice in Atlanta

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 am

What kind of law do you want to practice in Atlanta? And what's your COA at Georgia?

seanbodonovan

New

Post by seanbodonovan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:23 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What kind of law do you want to practice in Atlanta? And what's your COA at Georgia?
I haven't decided on a specific career path. I grew up in metro Atlanta. I did my 2 years of Teach For America here, and I'm currently teaching here for a third year. I own a home that is about an hour commute from both UGA and Emory. I would be paying about $10,000 for my first year's tuition at UGA and then paying nothing with a $2,000 stipend my second and third year.

Ntp73821

Silver

Post by Ntp73821 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am

seanbodonovan wrote:I've already been accepted at UGA with a very generous scholarship. I am confident that I will get in to Emory with my numbers (3.36/166), but I will obviously end up paying significantly more. My question is how much more valuable is a degree from Emory if I am going to stay in Atlanta?
Apply to Emory and see where you stand scholarship wise. If you don’t already have a fee waiver, they’ll probably give you one. If it’s going to cost you a lot more to go to Emory, I don’t think it’s really worth the difference. However, if you get cold feet about wanting to work in Atlanta, your UGA degree will be harder to move around with than an Emory degree in my opinion.

Again, this is just my opinion. As a side note, I went to UGA for undergrad so if you have any questions about campus or Athens, please feel free to PM me.
Last edited by Ntp73821 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:41 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What kind of law do you want to practice in Atlanta? And what's your COA at Georgia?
I haven't decided on a specific career path. I grew up in metro Atlanta. I did my 2 years of Teach For America here, and I'm currently teaching here for a third year. I own a home that is about an hour commute from both UGA and Emory. I would be paying about $10,000 for my first year's tuition at UGA and then paying nothing with a $2,000 stipend my second and third year.
I think wait on Emory and see if you get an offer. But you should probably hone in on that career path question. You don't have to have your mind 100% made up, but if you want to keep Atlanta biglaw as an option, Emory gives you a better shot there and at some more competitive federal government gigs, etc. If you just want to work with a smaller local firm or in local government/PI, then UGA for free is the ideal outcome for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
seanbodonovan wrote:
if you want to keep Atlanta biglaw as an option, Emory gives you a better shot there and at some more competitive federal government gigs, etc.
Outside of Georgia, Emory undoubtedly gives you a much better shot at biglaw. Inside of Georgia, I don't think that's true. Georgia gives you a better shot at federal clerkships.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:43 pm

seanbodonovan wrote:I've already been accepted at UGA with a very generous scholarship. I am confident that I will get in to Emory with my numbers (3.36/166), but I will obviously end up paying significantly more. My question is how much more valuable is a degree from Emory if I am going to stay in Atlanta?
UGA & Emory are easily the BL batting champs in Atlanta. Doubt if one is worth any more $$ than the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”