Is Berkeley Law worth $200k in Debt? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
urmlaw17

Bronze

Is Berkeley Law worth $200k in Debt?

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:01 pm

Hello,

I am thinking about EDing to Berkeley Law. Berkeley Law offers a 60k scholarships to those who are accepted. According to LST, Total COA will be 200K.

I am from CA and would like to stay in CA. I want to do big law or a clerkship.

Is Berkeley Law worth 200k in debt?

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Is Berkeley Law worth $200k in Debt?

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Last edited by Rigo on Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:20 pm

No. I'd RD and negotiate for more than $60k.
People with median Berkeley numbers usually get near full rides at USC and more than half ride from UCLA.
Above median gets more T13 money elsewhere, which you could use to negotiate with Berkeley.

Numbers?

eta: 168/2.9 accurate? On second thought not sure you'll have better options/would get accepted at Berkeley. My knowledge of URM splitters is super limited though, so I'll defer to the wisdom of others.
My answer is still no, but I'm unsure if you'll have better more cost effective options for CA biglaw.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Rigo wrote:No. I'd RD and negotiate for more than $60k.
People with median Berkeley numbers usually get near full rides at USC and more than half ride from UCLA.
Above median gets more T13 money elsewhere, which you could use to negotiate with Berkeley.

Numbers?

eta: 168/2.9 accurate? On second thought not sure you'll have better options/would get accepted at Berkeley. My knowledge of URM splitters is super limited though, so I'll defer to the wisdom of others.
My answer is still no, but I'm unsure if you'll have better more cost effective options for CA biglaw.
Yes, my numbers are accurate. I am at Berkeley's 75th Percentile but probably doesn't matter since they probably they a hit on LSAT to get higher GPAs. You don't think I would get accepted through RD or ED?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm

urmlaw17 wrote: Yes, my numbers are accurate. I am at Berkeley's 75th Percentile but probably doesn't matter since they probably they a hit on LSAT to get higher GPAs. You don't think I would get accepted through RD or ED?
The California schools are GPA whores so unfortunately splitters fare really poorly at Berk, UCLA, and USC (the only schools a biglaw person should even entertain going to).
If you weren't a URM, you're a straight reject. Not sure how URM plays into being a splitter though. Berkeley is really into reverse splitters (high GPA, low LSAT) but I don't know how they are with the opposite.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Rigo wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote: Yes, my numbers are accurate. I am at Berkeley's 75th Percentile but probably doesn't matter since they probably they a hit on LSAT to get higher GPAs. You don't think I would get accepted through RD or ED?
The California schools are GPA whores so unfortunately splitters fare really poorly at Berk, UCLA, and USC (the only schools a biglaw person should even entertain going to).
If you weren't a URM, you're a straight reject. Not sure how URM plays into being a splitter though. Berkeley is really into reverse splitters (high GPA, low LSAT) but I don't know how they are with the reverse.

I also blanketing the T14 to see if I have any other options and all the major CA schools.

Hopefully I'll get offers from UC Irvine/ Davis.

I am retaking LSAT in December and hopefully score higher.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Rigo wrote:
If you weren't a URM, you're a straight reject. Not sure how URM plays into being a splitter though. Berkeley is really into reverse splitters (high GPA, low LSAT) but I don't know how they are with the opposite.

I am so glad you don't think I am a straight reject. :)

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:43 pm

urmlaw17 wrote: I am so glad you don't think I am a straight reject. :)
You still might be. I just don't know. I weighed in before knowing your whole situation, just because I don't believe any school is worth $200k+ unless you're truly committed to PI and will be on a LRAP program.

What kind of URM, if I may ask?

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Rigo wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote: I am so glad you don't think I am a straight reject. :)
You still might be. I just don't know. I weighed in before knowing your whole situation, just because I don't believe any school is worth $200k+ unless you're truly committed to PI and will be on a LRAP program.

What kind of URM, if I may ask?
A Mexican American URM.

That's true. Even if I got in to Berkeley Law, I can't imagine being 200k in debt. It's kind of scary.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wmbuff

Bronze

Post by wmbuff » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:
Rigo wrote:
If you weren't a URM, you're a straight reject. Not sure how URM plays into being a splitter though. Berkeley is really into reverse splitters (high GPA, low LSAT) but I don't know how they are with the reverse.

I also blanketing the T14 to see if I have any other options and all the major CA schools.

With those targets and numbers, I'd hit up Vanderbilt and WUSTL as well -- their employment stats are pretty similar to Berkeley and UCLA, respectively, though you'd have to hustle more to get a CA job.
Last edited by wmbuff on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm

wmbuff wrote:
urmlaw17 wrote:
Rigo wrote:

With those targets and numbers, I'd hit up Vanderbilt and WUSTL as well -- their employment stats are pretty similar to Berkeley and UCLA, respectively, though you'd have to hustle more to get a CA job.
Thank you for the advice.

I applied to WUSTL 2 days ago. I am excited to hear back from them soon.

I will apply to Vanderbilt soon!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:50 pm

WUSTL will shell out for you probably. Make it rain.

Wakhancorridor

New

Post by Wakhancorridor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I attend Berkeley and love it here but the honest answer is that no law school is worth that much debt unless (arguably) you're going to HYS but I have my doubts about that much debt for even those schools....

In my opinion you'd be better off applying to a wide variety of schools and choosing rather than EDing Berkeley. Usc at 90-100k in debt is definitely more palatable to me than Berkeley at 200

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Wakhancorridor wrote:I attend Berkeley and love it here but the honest answer is that no law school is worth that much debt unless (arguably) you're going to HYS but I have my doubts about that much debt for even those schools....

In my opinion you'd be better off applying to a wide variety of schools and choosing rather than EDing Berkeley. Usc at 90-100k in debt is definitely more palatable to me than Berkeley at 200

Thank you for this. I appreciate it.

Sounds fair. That is my plan. I am applying to 25 schools and see how it ends up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”