3.44/167 need advice Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
marcosand182

New

3.44/167 need advice

Post by marcosand182 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am

My LSATs came significantly below what I had been PT'ing and my entire game plan changed. I do not believe I can handle studying for and taking the LSAT again, so for now a retake is not in my plans.

3.44/167 Ivy undergrad
Straight out of undergrad
Extra context: I'm coming out of undergrad having just turned 21 and have also been applying to several jobs. It is my perception that my most happy path will take me to law school straight from undergrad, and am concerned that if I take a job, I might go that route instead of going to law school at all.

I want (well, need) to do BigLaw in NYC and these are my thoughts. Please share input.

Early Decision application to either Cornell, Georgetown or UT Austin

Regular to:
GTown/UT Austin
Vandy
UCLA
Fordham (but I feel like there's a stigma)
...and after that, idk.

Please advise.
Last edited by marcosand182 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: 3.44/167 need advice

Post by sparkytrainer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 am

Retake. Your chances for biglaw from any of those schools listed except Cornell is rather low. You can retake when you realize if you want biglaw, you need to retake. Don't complain, just crush it. You have time, take a few years and work after graduation.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 am

In order:

1. Breathe.
2. Look for a job.
3. Take (at least) a year off to work, live, and study for the LSAT.
4. Retake.

At some point between step 1 and step 4, I also highly recommend counseling. Take advantage of your undergrad's services while they're free. But your post contains a number of red flags that your self-worth is wrapped up in this career path you've set for yourself. Talk to someone about that, because that can be a crushing problem in law school and beyond.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am

marcosand182 wrote:It is my perception that my most happy path will take me to law school straight from undergrad, and am concerned that if I take a job, I might go that route instead of going to law school at all.
Umm that would be amazing if you found a fulfilling path outside of law and saved you three years and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
marcosand182 wrote:I want (well, need) to do BigLaw in NYC and these are my thoughts.
Speaking of fulfillment, it is not NYC biglaw. Yikes.

Tap the brakes a bit and get a job. You are very young without any perspective. There's absolutely no rush to law school.
In your year or two off, you'll have more time to retake if law is what you really want.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:15 am

Rigo wrote:
marcosand182 wrote:It is my perception that my most happy path will take me to law school straight from undergrad, and am concerned that if I take a job, I might go that route instead of going to law school at all.
Umm that would be amazing if you found a fulfilling path outside of law and saved you three years and hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Yeah. If you wouldn't go to LS after taking a job after UG, you shouldn't go at all. Yikes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

marcosand182

New

Post by marcosand182 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

Delano wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Yeah. If you wouldn't go to LS after taking a job after UG, you shouldn't go at all. Yikes.
To clarify, what I meant was that if I got a job after UG and felt too secure in the position, I might second guess going to law school and that's not a position I think I want to be in. I very much want to become a lawyer because I feel that's the most appropriate career choice for me.

Delano

New

Post by Delano » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:00 pm

marcosand182 wrote:
Delano wrote:
Rigo wrote:
To clarify, what I meant was that if I got a job after UG and felt too secure in the position, I might second guess going to law school and that's not a position I think I want to be in. I very much want to become a lawyer because I feel that's the most appropriate career choice for me.
If the job you get after UG causes you to second guess / decide against what you currently think is the most appropriate career for you, then it may not have been the most appropriate career choice for you after all. Work a bit, and then decide.

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:05 pm

marcosand182 wrote:
Delano wrote:
Rigo wrote:
I also think you should get a job. I'm not sure what you mean by "feeling too secure in the position." Getting a job with either affirm that going to law school is the right path for you... or it won't. Either scenario is okay. You seem to have a plan and are afraid of that plan changing (because future you wants it to change). There is nothing wrong with changing your mind - so don't be afraid of the possibility.

NotLawDog

New

Post by NotLawDog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:25 pm

Whats the Fordham stigma?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm

You need to take some time off to raise your LSAT. You went to an ivy UG, so your ACT/SAT should have been in the 97-99th percentile. Study the LSAT until your score gets there. Moving from the 95th percentile (167) to the 97th (170) is going to drastically increase your options and scholarship money (by tens of thousands), and it's only answering 3-4 more correct questions on the LSAT.

This is where you currently stand.

This is where you could stand.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:10 am

Why do you NEED biglaw in NYC?

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:Why do you NEED biglaw in NYC?
Reading charitably, OP probably wants to live in Manhattan or maybe one of the nicer parts of Brooklyn without struggling to pay rent every month. That's not an absurd goal to set for oneself, and NYC biglaw is the only realistic way of fulfilling it after law school, so by "need" I assume they meant that having a good shot at those jobs is a necessary precondition for going. (Of course, that ignores the excellent option of not attending law school at all.)

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:20 am

icechicken wrote:Of course, that ignores the excellent option of not attending law school at all.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”