UT's In-State Tuition/Grants: How Does It Work Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MangoPapi

New

UT's In-State Tuition/Grants: How Does It Work

Post by MangoPapi » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I know that to be eligible for UT's in-state tuition you have to live in Texas for 12 consecutive months. My question is, as an OOS, would you be able to get an in-state waiver or even an in-state grant for your second and third year since by that point, you most likely have lived in Texas for 12 consecutive months. This is assuming that you didn't get an in-state scholarship waive when you first applied.

I know that Texas hands out grants for those in your second and third year (I read that in one of the Texas threads on here) and the amount varies depending on if you are an OOS or if you're in-state.

MangoPapi

New

Re: UT's In-State Tuition/Grants: How Does It Work

Post by MangoPapi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

Anyone?

sev

Bronze

Post by sev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:22 am

I'll verify this with a friend in the field later but I believe the answer is yes--you can transition from non-resident to resident after being in the state for 12 months--but you have to establish a domicile by showing a combination of factors.

Here's what UNT says about it (they operate under the same THECB rules I think):
http://unt.custhelp.com/app/answers/det ... urposes%3F
A person who has enrolled in an institution of higher education prior to living in the state for 12 months and who has been classified as a nonresident upon first enrollment in an institution of higher education is presumed to be nonresident for the period during which he/she continues as a student.

However, after residing in the state for 12 consecutive months, the student may apply for reclassification as a resident for tuition purposes provided unequivocal proof of establishment of domicile in Texas can be provided as outlined below.
As for what UT considers to be unequivocal proof:
https://admissions.utexas.edu/residency
If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months, as evidenced by:
Gainful employment in Texas;
Note: Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.
Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent’s parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence;
Ownership and operation of a business in Texas; or
Marriage for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Some people get in their scholarship package a nonresident tuition exemption which enables some out of state students to pay the resident tuition rate

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Probably won't happen just by going to school there, gotta domicile it up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”