American University for Tax Law? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fourwinds

New

American University for Tax Law?

Post by fourwinds » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am

Anyone studying at American University focusing on tax law? I'm interested in D.C. biglaw for tax. Anyone recommend other schools in the D.C. market that are in a similar LSAT range over American?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: American University for Tax Law?

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 am

You aren't getting biglaw from American.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:07 am

should probably plan on a georgetown or nyu llm if you are going to american.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

If you want DC biglaw, retake for GULC/UVA.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:You aren't getting biglaw from American.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:You aren't getting biglaw from American.
Just in case the message wasn't clear enough for OP.

Also, like some have pointed out in another thread. YOU SHOULD NOT BE GOING TO LAW SCHOOL NEXT YEAR. You have a 3.7/156. That means that any good university that could feed into the markets you want (DC/SF/Florida, iirc) will not accept you, and even if it did you would have to pay $300,000 for your degree, which is not worth it. Don't go to law school until you can get your LSAT into the mid- to high-160s. Otherwise, your job options are going to be severely limited, and you might not even graduate with a job or get one within 9 months of graduation (like 22.9% of American grads). If you work a job for a year and retake, you could instead have the option to attend a school where <10% of graduates end up unemployed and that gives you a realistic shot at biglaw tax in a major city.

Don't be young and stupid. Just be young.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:57 pm

fourwinds wrote:Anyone studying at American University focusing on tax law? I'm interested in D.C. biglaw for tax. Anyone recommend other schools in the D.C. market that are in a similar LSAT range over American?
As a tax lawyer, I agree with the others that this is a terrible idea.

fourwinds

New

Post by fourwinds » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:51 pm

What about estate planning?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:46 am

fourwinds wrote:What about estate planning?
In a big firm?

Stop focusing on specializations. A JD is a generalist's degree. What kind of firm do you want to work in, and where do you want to work?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fourwinds

New

Post by fourwinds » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:18 am

I'd be totally fine with any type of firm, to be honest. Small, medium, or big law. I'm attracted to big law salaries and the proespect of working at a huge firm for a few years until I get burnt out, but I understand that it's an elite game and I may not hired at a big law firm with my credentials. As long as I'm making $70,000 or so pre-tax I'll be happy. I really want to work in tax law because it's a more interesting field than literally any job my liberal arts economics BA can get me.

I'm shooting for either Miami or D.C. markets. I'm from Florida and I'm doing undergrad in florida. I've lived in Florida for the past nine years, but my family is originally from the D.C. area and I wouldn't mind moving back. I'd be fine with either market

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 am

fourwinds wrote:I'd be totally fine with any type of firm, to be honest. Small, medium, or big law. I'm attracted to big law salaries and the proespect of working at a huge firm for a few years until I get burnt out, but I understand that it's an elite game and I may not hired at a big law firm with my credentials. As long as I'm making $70,000 or so pre-tax I'll be happy. I really want to work in tax law because it's a more interesting field than literally any job my liberal arts economics BA can get me.

I'm shooting for either Miami or D.C. markets. I'm from Florida and I'm doing undergrad in florida. I've lived in Florida for the past nine years, but my family is originally from the D.C. area and I wouldn't mind moving back. I'd be fine with either market
Honestly the better option is to shoot for UF and the Florida market, instate tuition is pretty cheap and you'd have a shot at a good scholarship after a retake to get around median..

fourwinds

New

Post by fourwinds » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am

Yeah my two top choices are Miami and Florida. I was just wanting to toss in a few D.C. options to have choices

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

fourwinds wrote:I'd be totally fine with any type of firm, to be honest. Small, medium, or big law. I'm attracted to big law salaries and the proespect of working at a huge firm for a few years until I get burnt out, but I understand that it's an elite game and I may not hired at a big law firm with my credentials. As long as I'm making $70,000 or so pre-tax I'll be happy. I really want to work in tax law because it's a more interesting field than literally any job my liberal arts economics BA can get me.

You may not be happy then. Look up the bi-modal salary distribution for new law school graduates. $70k is not particularly likely to start if you attend the schools in question.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 am

fourwinds wrote:Yeah my two top choices are Miami and Florida. I was just wanting to toss in a few D.C. options to have choices
The problem is that you would only have choices up to the moment you matriculated. You can't go to any of these schools with a "I could work in Florida or D.C." mindset. The school's location will make that decision for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”