NYU JD/LLM for non-tax attorney Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
corporatemandaorbust

New

NYU JD/LLM for non-tax attorney

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 am

All,

NYU has a JD/LLM program in 3.5 years. If one wanted to be a corporate attorney, would this be a useful degree as tax matters are important in structuring deals. Thoughts?

cavalier1138

Re: NYU JD/LLM for non-tax attorney

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 am

Tax is generally its own thing, and I've never heard of a Tax LLM being useful outside of that specific practice field. Just take a tax course in school if you want to get some background in it before graduation.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 am

The tax llm is often for people going into accounting or biglaw tax-centric practices. Moreover, if you want to take some advanced tax courses, like corporate tax or property transactions, there is no reason you can't do so over three years.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:41 pm

BuddyHoller wrote:The tax llm is often for people going into accounting or biglaw tax-centric practices. Moreover, if you want to take some advanced tax courses, like corporate tax or property transactions, there is no reason you can't do so over three years.
I understand the main reason people get it, but there is much more to learn than just simple tax classes that could be useful. Was just wondering if corporate practices would value the extra knowledge.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:01 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:I understand the main reason people get it, but there is much more to learn than just simple tax classes that could be useful. Was just wondering if corporate practices would value the extra knowledge.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that a) LLMs get access to a wide variety of tax classes that JDs don't and b) law school classes will somehow be valuable in practice. Just take advanced tax classes if you find it interesting, but most lawyers will tell you that everyone pretty much learns all the relevant skills on the job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:40 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:I understand the main reason people get it, but there is much more to learn than just simple tax classes that could be useful. Was just wondering if corporate practices would value the extra knowledge.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that a) LLMs get access to a wide variety of tax classes that JDs don't and b) law school classes will somehow be valuable in practice. Just take advanced tax classes if you find it interesting, but most lawyers will tell you that everyone pretty much learns all the relevant skills on the job.
Tax is different in that regard. That's why tax LLMs are actually valued. Regardless, I agree that OP shouldn't do a LLM if he/she wants to do corporate.

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:49 pm

lavarman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Tax is different in that regard. That's why tax LLMs are actually valued. Regardless, I agree that OP shouldn't do a LLM if he/she wants to do corporate.
Right, but as you said Tax LLM is different. If one only has to stay an extra semester to get the LLM, it may pay dividends over the long-run as tax implications drive a lot of what corporate attorneys do

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:02 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Right, but as you said Tax LLM is different. If one only has to stay an extra semester to get the LLM, it may pay dividends over the long-run as tax implications drive a lot of what corporate attorneys do
But again, Tax LLMs are different specifically because they're valuable for tax attorneys. I've never heard of anyone finding them valuable as a generalist.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

corporatemandaorbust wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
What I'm telling you is that it will be an uphill battle convincing firms to put you into corporate with a tax LLM. Tax LLM hiring is geared towards working in tax. Accordingly, if you want to work in a corporate department, I recommend you have a standing offer from a firm going into the LLM. And the firm may tell you that it's pointless to pursue a LLM. Basically, electing to do this at the outset of law school is a weird choice. While a tax LLM offers utility, it's also a strong signalling mechanism. It's going to signal to firms that you want to work in tax.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Don't do this. Whatever marginal benefits you gain from the LLM will be more than offset by the extra half year throwing you off the normal recruiting cycle to go with whatever real and opportunity costs are involved.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”