Vandy ($$) or Reapply Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
visionmaomao

New

Vandy ($$) or Reapply

Post by visionmaomao » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Got into Vandy with decent amount of money. Waitlisted by half of the T14. Applied extremely late in the last cycle, right before the deadline. No hope to get off waitlist right now. Should I go to Vandy or I wait to reapply early in the next cycle.
Hope to work in International Law, NGO/Non-profit. Interested in IP law, entertainment law and international law.

cavalier1138

Re: Vandy ($$) or Reapply

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:05 pm

What are your numbers?

And how do you square IP and entertainment law with "NGO/non-profit" ambitions?

visionmaomao

New

Post by visionmaomao » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:10 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your numbers?

167/3.74. (Only one month to the Sep test, unlikely to score above 170)
I am not too sure about the area I want to practice. IP/Entertainment, and International/NGO are two separate areas of interests.
Also very worried about the location and reputation of Vandy.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:14 pm

visionmaomao wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your numbers?

167/3.74. (Only one month to the Sep test, unlikely to score above 170)
I am not too sure about the area I want to practice. IP/Entertainment, and International/NGO are two separate areas of interests.
Also very worried about the location and reputation of Vandy.
Vandy's reputation is fine, but you should reapply anyway at the beginning of the 2017/2018 cycle just to get a better shot at more schools. Possibly retake in December too then apply in early January.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:12 pm

You should only go if you can graduate with 100k debt or less. I would reapply next cycle on the 1st day and gain some full time work experience. I anticipate you will do better than Vandy with $$ if you apply early with a solid app. Retake in February if you have all of your acceptances in to try to get more money with virtually no risk. Applying in December is pretty late and would not make sense considering you would be already sitting out a cycle due to applying late.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:42 pm

How much total debt after 3 years are you looking at? Include all cost of living amounts, interest accumulated, etc. No one can answer the choosing question for you without that information.

Would you settle for like a regular law firm career? Entertainment law and NGO/Int'l law are two of the least likely outcomes for anyone at any school, even T14s.

Do you think you could get a 169 if you studied for 3 months? That would seriously change your outcomes here. 2 extra points would take you from below median at the lower T14s to above-median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”