Florida Law Schools 101 Guide Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Florida Law Schools 101 Guide

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:24 am

CommonLawTort wrote:
fonzeee wrote:As someone who wants to practice in Miami eventually, I'd actually be interested in reading a serious take on this.

I've heard basically UF > UM > FIU if we're limiting this purely to Florida schools. FSU decent but not ideal for south Florida I think?

That said, UM's bar passage rate last year was scary bad (like 70%).
Bar passage shouldn't be your concern, those UM kids who failed did so from their own wrongdoing, nothing to do with the school.

If your goal is Small/Mid Law in Miami --> UM > everywhere else.

Big Law in Miami is more complex and really depends on the firm; some firms view UF / T13 as a plus others are totally keen on hiring LR qualifying UM grads. I really don't think you could go wrong with UM, UF or T13.

The bigger plus of UF / T13 is they open more options if BL Miami doesn't work out, but don't expect either option to offer you significantly more Miami BL opportunities than UM. I didn't do a head count, but every year all the Miami SAs meet at the federal courthouse and my year it appeared that there were as many UM students as UFs.

As for T13, I wouldn't do it full sticker. Sure, it may give you a small boost over the local schools, but Miami firms really aren't very prestige centric. Even CCN students with average grades struggle to break into Miami BL.

Good luck!
I believe it. That's the market Miami feeds. UF tends to feed all of the big markets in Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more from UM.

Frankly, if the costs are the same, I'd say take UM over UF if you want to do small/mid law in Miami.
pizzagoblin wrote:Any thoughts on how Vandy places in Florida?
If you have ties and good grades, it places well. It's a respected school throughout the South.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Re: Florida Law Schools 101 Guide

Post by KPUSN07 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:23 pm

In at Miami for full tuition.... awaiting on UF and FSU.... Intrigued about Miami for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”