Undergrad GPA 2.46 | LSAC GPA 2.01 | LSAT 177 chances at t20 law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gitgudatlaw

New

Undergrad GPA 2.46 | LSAC GPA 2.01 | LSAT 177 chances at t20 law school?

Post by gitgudatlaw » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 am

Hello all,

I would still like to get more opinions and thoughts on my situation. I learned that LSAC recalculates your GPA which includes original grades even if they were replaced. Long story short, I was a shitty irresponsible student with no passion for my degree. I skipped class, took F's, and just flat out didn't care. My last undergrad year was my best in terms of grades but it wasn't amazing. My new LSAC GPA includes many F's during my early years when I didn't put any effort and later grade replaced. I really don't have any excuses besides just struggling to find what I want to do for my undergrad. There is nothing I can do about that so I am hoping my LSAT score will give me the opportunity to redeem myself.

So here are my stats:

My undergrad GPA is 2.46
My LSAC GPA is 2.01 (I think I calculated this correctly)
My LSAT score is 177

Since I will have to wait till Fall 2018 to go to law school, I plan to work till then. So it will be roughly a year or less worth of work experience. My dream school would be to get accepted into the University of Texas Law School since I live in Texas.

Other than Texas, I really want to go to a top 20 law school. Does anyone know someone who was able to get in with similar stats? Thoughts on my chances? I mainly would just like to get accepted with little scholarship or none if necessary and perform well enough during my first year to get a scholarship for my last two years.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: Undergrad GPA 2.46 | LSAC GPA 2.01 | LSAT 177 chances at t20 law school?

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:00 am

I highly reccomend at least 5 years work experience to put some distance between you and your GPA, as well as time to earn some money.

Scholarships are not commonly given out after your first year. All your cycles will be completely unpredictable.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:31 am

Dude, you've gotten answers to this question in both of your other threads. It's not going to change by posting it on a different forum.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:17 am

gitgudatlaw wrote:I mainly would just like to get accepted with little scholarship or none if necessary and perform well enough during my first year to get a scholarship for my last two years.
As people have pointed out, this isn't really how it works. Scholarships (merit-based grants of money you don't have to pay back) are calculated for all three years when you get an offer of admission; schools don't recalculate scholarships on a year-by-year basis. (They will recalculate financial aid if you're receiving need-based aid from your school, but the schools you're looking at largely don't do this - you will be getting federal loans.)

One exception is the transfer situation mentioned (in your other thread). But otherwise you will know what your scholarship options are for all three years once admitted.

Also you can bump your other thread for more input, rather than have multiple threads, so I'm going to lock this one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”