Midwest Law Schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UVA2B

Gold

Re: Midwest Law Schools?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:14 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Of the schools you've listed, you can essentially rule out any possibility of working for the federal government, and I hope you're okay with that. On the state level, if you want to work in MI, your best bet is to go to a school in MI so you can intern, extern, and network with the state agencies in MI. That means MSU at the right price could be a good option for you. I would do everything in my power to get MSU for free (assuming you can't raise your LSAT enough to make Michigan a realistic and affordable option). What's your uGPA?

When you're talking about regional schools and regional government goals, you should focus heavily on that state's law schools. So you can apply to Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, etc. if you'd like, but realistically I think your best options are Michigan, or MSU/Wayne State for free. If you really want federal government, Michigan is the only school even worth considering in MI, but otherwise you could shoot for other national schools that place better in the federal government (basically USNWR T14 or so).

I would take the above-bolded statement with a LARGE grain of salt.
Why?

The discussion previously established that it matters what fed gov job we're talking about, but regardless, fed gov jobs are hard to get from any school immediately following graduation. So is the large grain of salt meant to note that it depends on the job? If so, it's already been covered. If you disagree about how difficult it is to get a fed gov job, fair enough.
Your response clarifies and demonstrates that you agree the above-bolded comment is incorrect but overly broad.
Incorrect? No. Overly broad and incomplete? Sure.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:21 pm

UVA2B wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Of the schools you've listed, you can essentially rule out any possibility of working for the federal government, and I hope you're okay with that. On the state level, if you want to work in MI, your best bet is to go to a school in MI so you can intern, extern, and network with the state agencies in MI. That means MSU at the right price could be a good option for you. I would do everything in my power to get MSU for free (assuming you can't raise your LSAT enough to make Michigan a realistic and affordable option). What's your uGPA?

When you're talking about regional schools and regional government goals, you should focus heavily on that state's law schools. So you can apply to Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, etc. if you'd like, but realistically I think your best options are Michigan, or MSU/Wayne State for free. If you really want federal government, Michigan is the only school even worth considering in MI, but otherwise you could shoot for other national schools that place better in the federal government (basically USNWR T14 or so).

I would take the above-bolded statement with a LARGE grain of salt.
Why?

The discussion previously established that it matters what fed gov job we're talking about, but regardless, fed gov jobs are hard to get from any school immediately following graduation. So is the large grain of salt meant to note that it depends on the job? If so, it's already been covered. If you disagree about how difficult it is to get a fed gov job, fair enough.
Your response clarifies and demonstrates that you agree the above-bolded comment is incorrect but overly broad.
Incorrect? No. Overly broad and incomplete? Sure.
Regardless of whether you think it is correct or not, it was an extremely poor and ineffective way to lead off answering OP's question. I'm still not sure where you were going with that because all that it did was murder your credibility on the topic.

CurvedSurface

New

Post by CurvedSurface » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Just FYI, most law schools are not going to accept MPP credits for transfer. So if the goal of getting the MPP is to get through law school any quicker, realize that it's not going to happen.

Why are you getting an MPP? If your current employer is paying for it, awesome. But if not, remember that you're about to spend a lot of money on law school tuition and living expenses over the next three years (during which you may have no income). Is it really worth it? I think the MPP could be good for signaling your Michigan connections in the event that you go out of state for law school and want to return. But I don't think that signaling value is worth that much--Michigan is already your home state, and I'm sure you can talk about it on end when the time for showing your home state roots comes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”