NYU Tax LLM vs GULC Tax LLM (half price) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Wubbalubbadubdub

New

NYU Tax LLM vs GULC Tax LLM (half price)

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

I have the choice between NYU's tax LLM program and Georgetown's Tax LLM program. Obviously, NYU is the better and more prestigious school. However, Georgetown would cost me, at most, about half of what NYU would cost (about $60k vs $120k+).

I would appreciate any input or thoughts on the relative merits of the programs given the price differential - or, for that matter, if people who have done them would consider the degrees still worthwhile.

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: NYU Tax LLM vs GULC Tax LLM (half price)

Post by SemperLegal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:33 pm

I don't have one, but i work with a lot of LLMs. IME, a GULC accounts for a huge number of government attorneys, NYU is more firm and private practice. However, I've never heard of anyone differentiating. I'd focus on cost and logistics. GULCs night division seems more traditional; you have to actually be part-time enrolled, though they are flexible. NYU seems to be more accommodating to "SEPTEMBER: I'm going to do 12 credits a semester. MAY: Just kidding, I'm doing one credit online per decade"

Jon_Snow

New

Post by Jon_Snow » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:51 am

Out of curiosity - when did you apply?

And have you made your decision already?

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:I have the choice between NYU's tax LLM program and Georgetown's Tax LLM program. Obviously, NYU is the better and more prestigious school. However, Georgetown would cost me, at most, about half of what NYU would cost (about $60k vs $120k+).

I would appreciate any input or thoughts on the relative merits of the programs given the price differential - or, for that matter, if people who have done them would consider the degrees still worthwhile.
Those numbers don't sound right... NYU tuition is $60k. Surely you can survive in NYC for 9 months on less than $60k. Actual numbers if you live fugally should be something like $45k (GULC) or $80k (NYU).

As far as the choice- I think it depends a bit on your law school credentials and your biglaw desire. If you really want biglaw and just struck out in law school, NYU is clearly the best choice. If you don't want biglaw or have weak JD credentials that will make biglaw a stretch, I'd save the money and go GULC.

Wubbalubbadubdub

New

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Jon_Snow wrote:Out of curiosity - when did you apply?

And have you made your decision already?
I decided on NYU. I had the chance to speak with a handful of high up people in various tax positions, and they unanimously recommended NYU over Georgetown at almost any price. They didn't mince words about it, especially in my situation. Btw, as Nealric pointed out, and my own more exhaustive budget review determined, the cost of NYU would be closer to $90k. My $60k for GULC was just the cost of tuition. I would have no significant COL expenses in DC.

I'm waffling on whether I want to do the NYU program. In particular, biglaw partners warned me that the market is not exactly "vibrant" right now. Many tax offices, even at V100 firms, are apparently graying and shrinking due to competition with the big 4 accounting firms and a relatively inactive IRS. Apparently, a lot of this is due to the tax code not seeing serious reform in many years, and - more significantly - an IRS that hasn't been able to really enforce, audit and litigate for around 10 years. I'm writing in broad strokes, for the nitpickers out there.

At any rate, those factors make me question the value of the LLM degree from either school, especially factoring in a "lost" year to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”