Hofstra (150k) vs Brooklyn (80k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Kcaz55

New

Hofstra (150k) vs Brooklyn (80k)

Post by Kcaz55 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 pm

I'd like some advice on choosing between Hofstra Law and Brooklyn Law. I have a 150k total scholly from Hofstra and 80k total from Brooklyn (both over 3 years). My goal is to wiggle my way into biglaw. I have read all the common responses to posts that have to do with these schools and the pipe dream of somehow getting into biglaw so just ignore this if you're going to give me one of those responses. Maybe I end up transferring after 1l or maybe I kill it and finish top of my class at one of the schools..it doesn't matter what I think can happen but I will be deciding between these two offers with biglaw in mind so I'd love some advice thanks

cavalier1138

Re: Hofstra (150k) vs Brooklyn (80k)

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Well, since you don't want to hear the correct advice, all anyone can say is to follow your dreams.

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Retake

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Don't go to law school

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Look, while everyone's here, I have a related question.

I'm going to go to Vegas and get super-rich. Should I do that playing the slots or the craps table? Positive responses only, please and thank you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kcaz55

New

Post by Kcaz55 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Look, while everyone's here, I have a related question.

I'm going to go to Vegas and get super-rich. Should I do that playing the slots or the craps table? Positive responses only, please and thank you.
lol nice dont u have anything better to do..if you were half as smart as you're trying to come off of you'd understand i'm not looking for positive advice i'm looking for someone to think like their in my position where I know this is a risky decision but im past that part, I'd like to know if you were in my position which school would you choose. I blew off my first year of undergrad, got a shitty gpa because of that and a high lsat so i'm not real worried about competing. Honestly if I didnt blow off my first year of undergrad i'd prally be whippin your dorky ass at whatever school you're at. I love how this site breeds kids that beat off to their own posts but prally stammer when they get nervous in public

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 pm

If I were in your position, I wouldn't go to law school or I'd change my goals. You have done absolutely nothing to earn that arrogant, ignorant attitude, tiger.

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:37 pm

PM me and don't get antagonized by the circle jerk. However, generally, they're giving you the right advice.

But they just can't help but letting you know how risk averse they are so they make a post not answering your question, even though you've made it clear you've already considered their advice and decided against it.

Fuck, if I'd listened to the advice I got on here, I'd still be working a 9-5 studying for the LSAT instead of making 3.5k a week working with the same people who probably gave me that advice.

Pretty ironic.

That being said, Hofstra IMO. Take the money because at either school you need to be at the top of your class to get biglaw or transfer.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:45 pm

NotSkadden wrote:PM me and don't get antagonized by the circle jerk. However, generally, they're giving you the right advice.

But they just can't help but letting you know how risk averse they are so they make a post not answering your question, even though you've made it clear you've already considered their advice and decided against it.

Fuck, if I'd listened to the advice I got on here, I'd still be working a 9-5 studying for the LSAT instead of making 3.5k a week working with the same people who probably gave me that advice.

Pretty ironic.

That being said, Hofstra IMO. Take the money because at either school you need to be at the top of your class to get biglaw or transfer.
"It worked for me, so it can work for you!"
-Literally every shitty motivational speaker

You got a good outcome. Congrats. You were extremely lucky, and if you went in with a biglaw-or-bust mentality, you were extremely dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NotSkadden

New

Post by NotSkadden » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
NotSkadden wrote:PM me and don't get antagonized by the circle jerk. However, generally, they're giving you the right advice.

Pretty ironic.

You got a good outcome. Congrats. You were extremely lucky, and if you went in with a biglaw-or-bust mentality, you were extremely dumb.
Lol. Or extremely informed, and willing to take a risk. And I would argue in today's Pre-OCI world it's an even more defensible risk, FWIW.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Based on the 2016 data, Brooklyn's large firm percentage was around 15%, and Hofstra's was around 8%. Is that 7% gap worth $70,000?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 pm

NotSkadden wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Pretty ironic.

Lol. Or extremely informed, and willing to take a risk. And I would argue in today's Pre-OCI world it's an even more defensible risk, FWIW.
It's a bad decision and risk if biglaw is your goal, but people make bad decisions and take bad risks all the time. It pans out for some.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

lavarman84 wrote:Based on the 2016 data, Brooklyn's large firm percentage was around 15%, and Hofstra's was around 8%. Is that 7% gap worth $70,000?
yeah id do brooklyn. youre gonna be on PAYE if you don't make biglaw either way. might as well go to the school that maximizes your biglaw chances if youre biglaw or bust.

id actually go to the school with the highest biglaw percentage regardless of cost based on your goal (biglaw or bust).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kcaz55

New

Post by Kcaz55 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:41 pm

Johann wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:Based on the 2016 data, Brooklyn's large firm percentage was around 15%, and Hofstra's was around 8%. Is that 7% gap worth $70,000?
yeah id do brooklyn. youre gonna be on PAYE if you don't make biglaw either way. might as well go to the school that maximizes your biglaw chances if youre biglaw or bust.

id actually go to the school with the highest biglaw percentage regardless of cost based on your goal (biglaw or bust).
These are the kind of responses I was looking for. Thanks guys.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Kcaz55 wrote:
Johann wrote:

These are the kind of responses I was looking for. Thanks guys.
Follow your dreams! (Is that better?)

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:07 am

How high is your LSAT? People with sub 3.0 get into t13 schools if they truly have an LSAT worthy of trashing actual t13 attendees who try to help them

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 pm

The "don't go to law school" advice is unwarranted. OP, you have essentially 2 choices.

1) Retake the LSAT
2) Hofstra

Going to school for (almost free) is fine, as long as you're realistic about your chances of attaining your goals. You have a > 90 % chance of not getting biglaw from Hofstra. You're most likely to end up practicing at a small firm in NY or not in law at all.

You should honestly consider option 1, if you think you're clever enough to "kill it" at either school, you've got to think you're clever enough to get an LSAT score which will get you into schools better able to achieve your goals.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kcaz55

New

Post by Kcaz55 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Cogburn1984 wrote:The "don't go to law school" advice is unwarranted. OP, you have essentially 2 choices.

1) Retake the LSAT
2) Hofstra

Going to school for (almost free) is fine, as long as you're realistic about your chances of attaining your goals. You have a > 90 % chance of not getting biglaw from Hofstra. You're most likely to end up practicing at a small firm in NY or not in law at all.

You should honestly consider option 1, if you think you're clever enough to "kill it" at either school, you've got to think you're clever enough to get an LSAT score which will get you into schools better able to achieve your goals.
Hofstra just offered me a full tuition scholarship so I think that's where I'm heading. Retake isn't an option but I appreciate the advice.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Retake or tell us your LSAT

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:09 pm

NotSkadden wrote:
lol this is TLS in a nutshell. I don't think the approach is problematic as a starting matter -- saying up front that someone shouldn't be limiting themselves to the options presented is always worthwhile (and correct) advice, imo. But when you then continually refuse to actually answer the question presented, it becomes clear you're more interested in being a dick and telling someone how wrong they are than you are in actually helping. I notice these type of people tend to be those who (based on comment count) spend the most time on here. There might be something to that...

I'd take Hofstra OP. Big-law will be a pipe dream, and you may waste three years, but at least you won't be crushed by debt.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Your situation probably needs a bit more information before I am comfortable giving any advice, but I don't think the calculus changes that demonstrably even when you provide this information. Do you have cost of living covered at either school? What is your estimated debt levels at graduation at either school? If you missed out on Biglaw, would you be comfortable/happy with a more modest outcome like a small firm that pays <$50k (at least initially, and possibly for longer), and would you be comfortable if you missed out on a legal career altogether since it's a distinct possibility?

Right now your options and your goals are a bit incongruous because you don't have a great shot of achieving your goal out of either, so assuming you are comfortable and happy with more modest outcomes, you should go with the less debt option at Hofstra. It's not a good option for your goals, but you already know that, so debt minimization is the better call since it won't hold you down under a program like PAYE as strenuously.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 pm

AspiringAspirant wrote:
NotSkadden wrote:
lol this is TLS in a nutshell. I don't think the approach is problematic as a starting matter -- saying up front that someone shouldn't be limiting themselves to the options presented is always worthwhile (and correct) advice, imo. But when you then continually refuse to actually answer the question presented, it becomes clear you're more interested in being a dick and telling someone how wrong they are than you are in actually helping. I notice these type of people tend to be those who (based on comment count) spend the most time on here. There might be something to that...

I'd take Hofstra OP. Big-law will be a pipe dream, and you may waste three years, but at least you won't be crushed by debt.
Finally! Someone who will give me a straight answer to my question. What should I play to win my fortune in Vegas: slots or craps? Don't tell me that this is a stupid plan, because I don't want to hear it. I've given you two options, and you must respond with one of them. I eagerly await your answer.
Last edited by cavalier1138 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:21 pm

AspiringAspirant wrote:
NotSkadden wrote:

I think your post also shows the problem with people who just blindly answer false dichotomies, though. You've noted that biglaw is going to be a pipe dream and OP might waste three years. That's not exactly positive. In fact, it could ruin OP's life. Even if OP claims they know it's possible, I still don't think it's moral or ethical to tell OP to go to Hofstra or Brooklyn over the other when the odds that OP reaches his/her goal is so low. At the end of the day, it's OP's choice to take such a big risk but I'm not ever gonna deride someone for trying to help find an easier path to their goal.

AspiringAspirant

New

Post by AspiringAspirant » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Mullens wrote:
AspiringAspirant wrote:
NotSkadden wrote:

I think your post also shows the problem with people who just blindly answer false dichotomies, though. You've noted that biglaw is going to be a pipe dream and OP might waste three years. That's not exactly positive. In fact, it could ruin OP's life. Even if OP claims they know it's possible, I still don't think it's moral or ethical to tell OP to go to Hofstra or Brooklyn over the other when the odds that OP reaches his/her goal is so low. At the end of the day, it's OP's choice to take such a big risk but I'm not ever gonna deride someone for trying to help find an easier path to their goal.
But I said in myfirst sentence that acknowledging that it is a false dichotomy is perfectly acceptable and correct advice. Once you get that out of your system, if you don't think the two options are identical, the helpful thing to do is tell OP what the better option is. Especially when he's told you over and over that he is going to choose between the two options and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:28 pm

AspiringAspirant wrote:But I said in myfirst sentence that acknowledging that it is a false dichotomy is perfectly acceptable and correct advice. Once you get that out of your system, if you don't think the two options are identical, the helpful thing to do is tell OP what the better option is. Especially when he's told you over and over that he is going to choose between the two options and there's nothing you can do to stop it.
How is that helpful?

If you think the OP is making a bad decision either way, then it isn't helpful to tell them to take either option. If the OP wants to be monumentally arrogant (and yes, that's what going to Hofstra with the plan of "killing it" is), that's their choice. No one else has to encourage that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”