Good law schools for Grand Rapids market Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gochigo

New

Good law schools for Grand Rapids market

Post by gochigo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi everyone. I have a 3.45 GPA and a 166 LSAT. I am from Chicago originally, and I want to stay in the Midwest, but the financial future of Illinois is not looking good, so I think I want to relocate to a nearby region. I am considering Grand Rapids, MI but I have no ties to the area other than family-friends in Detroit (other side of the state).

I have been told I will be in strong consideration for substantial scholarships at UIUC, IU- Bloomington, and MSU. Of all three I think I would most prefer Illinois, but how do Illinois and Indiana place in Grand Rapids? I should add that I don't want Big Law and I'd strongly consider coming back to Chicago if the tax situation improves.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Good law schools for Grand Rapids market

Post by Mullens » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:07 pm

gochigo wrote:Hi everyone. I have a 3.45 GPA and a 166 LSAT. I am from Chicago originally, and I want to stay in the Midwest, but the financial future of Illinois is not looking good, so I think I want to relocate to a nearby region. I am considering Grand Rapids, MI but I have no ties to the area other than family-friends in Detroit (other side of the state).

I have been told I will be in strong consideration for substantial scholarships at UIUC, IU- Bloomington, and MSU. Of all three I think I would most prefer Illinois, but how do Illinois and Indiana place in Grand Rapids? I should add that I don't want Big Law and I'd strongly consider coming back to Chicago if the tax situation improves.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
(1) Generally the smaller the market, the more sensitive it is to ties. You have absolutely no ties to Grand Rapids and won't be going to school there. It will be very difficult for you to find a job in Grand Rapids from any of the schools you listed.

(2) What do you want to do other than not Big Law?

(3) Illinois' state income tax went up 1.2% and is now only 0.7% higher than Michigan's. Seems like a pretty severe reaction for such a small change.

gochigo

New

Post by gochigo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm thinking of property taxes as well. Not to mention Grand Rapids has a much lower cost of living. I'd like to have my own firm eventually. I'm really interested in immigration

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Have you thought about Iowa law school and moving there? Or retaking the LSAT for Michigan?

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Whatever you do don't go to Cooley, no matter what anyone else tells you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Michigan, Notre Dame, Chicago, and Northwestern are the big ones there.

Any T14 will also do and stellar grades from MSU, Wayne, or the big ten schools.

GR is an insular market (and somewhat town)...I'm from a town south of Kalamazoo and a lot of the true GR people at firms wouldn't consider me from "West Michigan" I love GR, but just realize that politically it is not like the rest of MI.

Also the City of GR has an income tax FYI. Glad my firm is outside a MI metro. I think a lot of the bigger MI cities have them.

gochigo

New

Post by gochigo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I am most definitely not going to Cooley lol.

Iowa is too middle of nowhere for me. I'm open to St. Louis I suppose, but it is pretty far from the Chicago area. I've also taken the LSAT three times and I don't want to take it again, even with the restriction being lifted. Michigan is my reach though. I've also considered just working in Chicago and living in Indiana, but I need to look at how the income taxes would work though.

I know immigration lawyers don't make the most money, so I really want to have my paycheck go as far as possible.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:36 pm

If you don't get into Michigan, and if you've never lived there, GR is going to be a pretty hard get.

I'd strongly suggest you re-assess your issues with Illinois. If you're looking for a private sector job, I wouldn't worry too much about unfunded public pensions and the like. Sure, it's not a great climate, but things aren't so hot in Michigan, either. It's the quintessential rust belt state.

It's always possible you could get a GR or Detroit job. But it's truly an uphill battle.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:17 am

You probably will not be able to get a GR job. People who grow up in other parts of Michigan and go to school in Michigan can't get a job in GR.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WaitersIsland

Bronze

Post by WaitersIsland » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

If you are that hung up on Grand Rapids, you would be best suited taking a(nother) year off and moving/working there, then re-taking the LSAT to get into Michigan. With no ties it will be nearly impossible for you to crack the GR market from any of the schools you have mentioned.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm

I don't want to derail this thread, but why do people like Grand Rapids so much, and why is it so insular? Seems like people from there worship it

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

carsondalywashere wrote:I don't want to derail this thread, but why do people like Grand Rapids so much, and why is it so insular? Seems like people from there worship it
It's a real city, but not a "big city." Has a young vibe with some culture, but still has something in the way of commerce. Lots of brewery action. Located well for outdoor adventures. It's just a pretty solid place. I don't know that it's bizarrely insular - the things said about job hunting for regional biglaw here are said on this board all the time about Miami, San Diego, Portland, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”